Sunday, February 03, 2008

Just Friends

So not much has changed in a week's time. I have spoken with the New Guy, but have not seen him. I sent him a text message last Monday morning, basically apologizing for whatever I did that was so offensive (it was said nicer, with much less bitterness, but that's the basic gist). He wrote back almost immediately (keep in mind he hadn't responded to anything since telling me he couldn't hang out on Saturday), and said not to worry, he just was really busy, and he told me he worked a lot. I'm cranky early in the morning, so I took this and responded with a condescending, of course you did tell me that, and how inconsiderate of me to bother you this weekend (when we HAD plans). Ok, I left out the when we had plans part... but again, the basic gist. I spend the remainder of the day, hashing out with my friends why he clearly was not worth my time. 1) younger than me, 2) shorter than me, 3) big chin. Yeah, he had a rather overbearing chin, which could have provided a good blog name, but I didn't want to emphasize the faults of someone I was clearly interested in. It does dominate his facial features though, making the slope of his face crescent moon like. It's not terrible, and obviously didn't stop me from being attracted to him... but something to note, especially when trying to find fault.

So Monday, I came to terms with my friends that really, I should just get over this, and the only other time I ever reacted this way with a guy was with T. And for the same reasons... complete change in behavior coupled with dropping off the face of the earth. At least he had texted me back, so I knew in fact he was alive. Who then calls me, Monday night? Chin guy. I was hesitant to answer because I didn't want to have to defend or apologize for my snarky text earlier that day, but it wasn't brought up. We chatted on the phone like nothing ever happened. Of course this leaves me dumbfounded, and confused about what is going on. I let it go, and on Wednesday sent him a text just saying that I hoped he was having a good time in DC, and was he having fun? He sent back this long, drawn out text message complete with how his week was so busy, and he wasn't going to have any free time anytime soon... so we should just be friends. Uhhhh. what? I don't know where that came from. I sent him a message back saying that was fine with me, although I don't know what that means really, and if he's not interested, he should just come out and tell me, I can take it. He texted me back that he doesn't know what that means either, but with being so busy, he doesn't want me to wait for him. As if I was. I decided this needed to be settled once and for all on the phone, so I called him. We talked for an hour and half, and absolutely nothing was defined. I told him being friends seems silly because if he doesn't have time to date me, why would I want a friend I never saw? And he went on to say how much he likes spending time with me and talking to me, but doesn't think he can give me the time that I want right now. I thought about it, and not once did I ever ask to see him. He always made the plans, so something I did made it seem like I was especially needy. In any case, I don't think I'm dating him, especially since it's been a week and a half since I've seen him. But we're not friends. And I don't think he's not interested, but I don't think he's overwhelmingly into me either.

We texted back and forth a couple of times this weekend. There has been no mention of future plans, and I'm not going to bring it up. I'm not really seeking out new dates at this time, but it's not because I'm waiting for this guy. I'm exhausted from dating all the time, I went through my past 3 years of being single, and I've been dating someone in one form or another for the past 3 years, with less than a month in between.

2 comments:

Logan said...

Yeah, Chin Guy is much funnier than Quizzo Guy.

Debbie said...

Wait...I didn't know you were dating Jay Leno!