Thursday, February 21, 2008

5th Period

Today was the dreaded day. The day my crush showed up in my class 5th period. Now, to be fair, I really don't have a crush on my crush anymore. But I am still embarrassed by the thought of my students plotting our romance in their minds. It was towards the end of the period, the students had just finished up a project that had them pretty riled up to begin with, and then he walked in to drop off the weekly magazines to my class. Usually he just drops them off, waves, and leaves. Today, he stood at the back of my class like he was waiting for me to finish up teaching, like he had something important to say to me. So, I noticed him standing there, but he was in the back, and I was PRAYING that my students wouldn't notice him. I tried to keep them busy by passing out homework, and talking a lot about what they needed to do. But of course they noticed, and of course they had something to say about that too. As soon as they started making comments (oooh Ms. B, do you see who's here? Ms. B, tomorrow is Friday night, what are you doing? Ms. B, why are you turning red??) I almost killed them. And I also found it near impossible to keep a straight face. I turned about 10 shades of red and of course I have a few who take things TOO far (Student M - no surprise. He has very little impulse control.) And my crush ended up having to yell at my students. After that I lined them out, and they were still wild and trying to make comments, but I ushered them out quickly and down the hall to Spanish. Apparently, my crush really wanted to talk to me because he was walking down the hall behind me and my class. I ignored this and just wanted to get my class to Spanish before I had to deal with the humiliation of what just happened in my classroom. As we stopped at the corner, one of the girls keeps saying to me, "Ms. B, turn around." I ignored her. Again, "Ms. B, turn around, there's someone behind you." I continued to ignore her. "Ms. B, Ms. B, turn around!!" I turned another shade of red, probably deeper than before, because if it wasn't apparent to him before what was going on, it definitely was at that point.

I got them to Spanish, and pretty much hid in the teacher's lounge/workroom for 15 minutes. I thought the coast was clear, when I ran into him. Well, actually I was talking to another teacher in the hallway, and I saw him hear my voice, turn around and wait for me. Again. So, I went over and apologized for what he witnessed in my class today. I wanted to tell him that my class has a very active imagination, but that didn't sound like the right way to phrase that, so I just said that they are characters and get a little carried away sometimes. He laughed and said he thought the whole thing was really funny. I can only imagine what he was really thinking. He had nothing important to say to me though. He asked me if I had the unit questions for the chapters we're working on now, which I had already emailed him about last week telling him I didn't have them. He said he'd bring it to our meeting next week, and nothing really was discussed... He made some small talk and told me to tell the other grade level teacher he said hello, and then he left.

I am still mortified by what happened with my class. They thought it was hysterical. If it hadn't happened to me, and it wasn't my supervisor, I'd probably find it funny too. At this point though, I'd be very surprised if I saw him in my 5th period class any time in the near future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Current Score

5th Period Class : 2
Ms. B. : 0

Debbie said...

Oh man...those kids are BRUTAL! That's so humiliating...but why was he following you? I think HE has a crush on YOU ;o)