Sunday, February 17, 2008

1 out of 3

I was supposed to have 3 dates this weekend, however, my friend came down from NYC instead, so 2 of them were canceled. The one that I did get to go on however was pretty good. I wasn't looking forward to this date ahead of time for a few reasons. The first and foremost reason was I knew way too much about this guy and how much he was looking for a relationship prior to meeting him. Also, he seemed to always be on IM, and wanting to have long, drawn out conversations which I just don't have time for. If and when I am on IM, it's usually while I'm working on my computer and don't really have time to have lengthy conversations (kind of defeats the purpose of it, I know.) But, I've done the whole IMing with a guy before you meet him, and then find you have nothing to say to them when it's in person. It's like long phone conversations, or email exchanges that always end in disappointment when you actually meet the person. So I scheduled an early date on Friday, hoping to be home by 8 so I'd have some time with my friend who was leaving to go back to another country, or clean/prepare for my friend's visit to my house.

We had scheduled to meet at 5:30 at a coffee shop. I was early, and he was late. He called to let me know that he wasn't going to make it until a little later, so I settled in and had some coffee. He showed up much closer to 6 than to 5:30, but that's ok. I wasn't in a real rush. He was cute, and we talked for about 2 hours at the coffee shop. Around 8, they started playing live music there, which made it hard to hear, so we decided to go to dinner. We drove across the shopping center to a good Italian restaurant, and proceeded to continue our long conversation. We ended up staying at the restaurant until they were closing around 11. So we had been talking for about 5 hours. This was surprising to me, and I didn't anticipate liking him, so it was a good surprise. I don't know if it's going to go anywhere, but for now, I'll continue seeing him. He IMed me when he got home, and we chatted online for a bit, but again, I don't like talking online as much as he does. We have tentative scheduled plans for Monday night, after I meet up with one of the guys I was supposed to see today. Another one I'm not anticipating going very well or lasting very long.

I will try to provide more detailed accounts of my dates later, I haven't had much time to do anything online this weekend, so more to come. The first of three was good, and maybe the rest that I'm dreading will be good as well! Negative anticipation = Good dates?

1 comment:

Debbie said...

It's always good to expect the worst b/c if it's bad, it's expected, but if it's good, it's a pleasant surprise!