Monday, April 02, 2007

The Other Team

In honor of it being April Fool's Day and all, I thought I'd give it a try and see what it's like to play for the other team. Sort of.

I went to brunch this afternoon with my uncle and his wife (I have a hard time referring to her as my aunt, even though she has been for 14 years, she's not really the aunt type... and if you know her, you understand - but for the sake of the post, that is what she will be - my aunt.) at a very cool bar in Philly with a great Sunday brunch. The only catch? It's a lesbian bar. I had never been to a lesbian bar before (on edit - that's not true - the bar I went to on my Not For Tourists date with T was a lesbian bar - although I didn't know that at the time and it was a mixed crowd that night due to the event), so I didn't really know what to expect.

It was surprisingly a pretty mixed crowd at first, a lot of lesbians - yes, everyone who worked there was - but a lot of men, couples (mixed - men and men, women and women, men and women), groups of friends (sexual orientation unknown), and my uncle, aunt, and myself. We sat at the bar, and talked to the bartender, who my aunt and uncle have known for quite some time. Apparently there is a topless picture of her on their fridge, or something like that, I don't think I ever noticed it and if I did, it did not leave a very lasting impression on me. Oh well. Anyway, she was funny in a sassy bartender type of way. She looked like any hipster you'd see in Brooklyn, as did most of the girls who worked there. There is the same kind of drama in lesbian couples as there are in straight couples. The bartender is dating the owner of the bar, all the girls who worked there seemed to have girlfriends, and the bartender had no problem dishing all of their secrets to me, my aunt, and my uncle. There was one girl who was working there, who kept watching me, and I have to say... if I were interested in girls that way... I'd probably have been very interested in her. It's a shame I'm not, maybe I would have had something more interesting to post here. All in all, we just exchanged a few glances across the bar, I caught her looking at me more times than I would consider normal (although there weren't THAT many people in the bar to look at anyway...), and it was kind of exciting for an hour or so. We stayed at the bar for a few hours, the brunch was delicious. And the next time I am home, I will definitely go back.

It was a strange feeling, being excited that a girl was checking me out. I am pretty secure in my own sexuality, and I know that I definitely like men, but for the few hours while I was there, I have to admit there were some moments that a few thoughts ran through my head and I thought - why the hell not? Unfortunately, when it comes down to it.... I'm just not attracted to women, no matter how attractive of a woman she was.

3 comments:

Logan said...

Ah, Sisters! I went there once on a Thursday night. It was quite an adventure to say the least...

Anonymous said...

Logan - are you a lesbian?! haha! Well get your woman power on b/c The Vagina Monologues are this weekend!!!! AMEN SISTER!

Logan said...

Sadly no, I'm not a lesbian. They are quite fun peoples though. Certainly know how to have a good time.