Sunday, April 08, 2007

Three men walked into a restaurant...

an Israeli, and orthodox Jew, and a Catholic. Sounds like a set up for a joke, but really it was just my night last night.

So, it's been a while and I did see the Israeli Thursday night, which I failed to write about, mainly because there is absolutely nothing to say. He got back from San Francisco on Weds, and called me to see if I was home. I had decided to stay at my parents for one more night, and came back to Brooklyn on Thursday. He went on a hike on Thursday, and originally told me he was too tired for me to come over. He changed his mind around 10, and as usual, I went over. We made out, watched a movie and went to bed. I mentioned that on Saturday I was going to see the Vagina Monologues in Jersey, and the Israeli really wanted to come with. I was a little surprised because it just didn't seem like his thing, and I asked him multiple times if he was absolutely sure he wanted to come. He insisted that he did. So, I reserved an extra ticket, but with some definite reservation. I didn't really want him to come. I have only had bad experiences with the Israeli in public, and I didn't really think I want to introduce him to 2 of my best friends. I was really worried what they would think, especially because one of them (ahem.. Debbie...) has made it perfectly clear that she did not approve of my dating the Israeli.

Saturday was a bit of a blur in the morning/afternoon. I slept in, but woke up with an excruciating headache. After doing nothing for a few hours and feeling pretty bad because of the headache, I decided to take a nap. The Israeli called me during that time to see what time I was going to pick him up for the show, and if I had been feeling better or more awake, I may have asked him to come to my apartment and we'd drive from there, because that just made more sense. Afterward, I ended up going to the gym fairly late in the afternoon, and didn't get back to my apartment until almost 5:45. I should have been at the Israeli's to pick him up at 6:30 to make it to NJ on time. I didn't end up LEAVING my apartment until 6:45 (again, why it would have been beneficial to have him come here), and didn't get to the Israeli's until almost 7:30. The show started at 8. I was freaking out because it was a small theater, and I knew it would be terrible to walk in late because it's a theater in the round, so everyone can see if you walk in late and you're practically sitting on the stage. I was pretty snippy with the Israeli when I picked him up because I was stressed beyond belief, and sped the entire way down through Brooklyn to Jersey. We made it to the theater only 5 minutes late, and only missed the introduction to the show (sorry Deb!!). It was a really good show, and it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it was going to be, with the Israeli. I mean I doubt any of the guys I have dated have been subjected to an entire night of nothing but talking about vaginas, especially with one of my best friends. But the Israeli really did seem to enjoy it, and in the end, I'm really glad he came. After the show, I introduced him to my friend and her fiance, and a little bit later to Debbie and the guy she is dating.

I was so nervous about him meeting my friends. Because he was such a tool at the dinner party, or maybe it was just my irritation with him that night, but I was worried there was going to be a repeat of that with my friends. Surprisingly, he was not as bad. It was the first time we had been out in public that I didn't feel like I wanted to hide behind something every time he spoke. He got along very well with my friends, and the six of us went out to eat at the diner after the show. It was a nice setting, and everyone seemed to get along very well. (It was the first time any of us had met Debbie's guy as well.) It might have been a recipe for disaster, a secular Israeli, an orthodox Jew, and a Catholic. 3 very different guys, but somehow it worked better than any of our previous attempts at double/triple dating. It was all very easy and comfortable, and everyone seemed to get along very well. The Israeli was definitely playing the part of my boyfriend last night. It was so strange, but it worked. Debbie and the Israeli had a great debate (argument?) on why Debbie thinks Israeli men suck, and no one should date them. Very amusing.

On our way back to Brooklyn, our conversations and the ease I felt around the Israeli was probably the best since our very early dates before he told me he was going back early. He asked me why Debbie didn't like him before she had met him. Besides being Israeli, I explained as best I could about how she didn't like the whole 4 months "wanting to see the world" analogy, and the half-open relationship. He said, yeah, but we decided we weren't going to do that. We did? I don't remember deciding against that? I thought we were free to date other people as long as we weren't sleeping with anyone else. Apparently we never agreed on that and I guess the whole time I was dating the acupuncturist, I was cheating on the Israeli? I don't know about that, but I figure what he doesn't know won't hurt him. I didn't sleep with the acupuncturist, so I didn't break any rules that I thought we had set. Yikes.

We had a nice night back at his apartment, really reminiscent of the first and second night I spent there. He played me all this foreign music, and we just sat on his couch together until it was really late. It was really surprising, I had pretty much written all nights like those off once he told me he was leaving. We didn't really talk more about what we were, because I still don't think that has changed. After our nondescript evening on Thursday I had begun to question why I was still wasting my time with him anymore, last night reminded me of what had been there in the beginning. It makes me happy and sad, because detaching myself from the situation made me not care so much when I thought about him leaving, but it's nice to feel good when I am with him. His mom is coming to stay with him on the 26th, and his brother comes in the middle of May. He has mentioned many times that he wants me to meet them, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last night was so much fun!!! I'm so glad we all got to spend time together..and I do like the Israeli. He's very cute and sweet! Hope we can do something like this again! He's welcome to come out for my b-day too! WOOHOOO!