Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Metrosexual

I've been avoiding posting for some reason, it may be the abundance of work, or it may be that Saturday night with the Israeli was so non-descript that I have nothing interesting to say.

He came to my apartment around 9ish. He met my roommate and her friend, where he was less awful than he usually is in social interactions. And I didn't feel the need to rush him out of the apartment as soon as possible like I usually do when my roommate meets the guys I am dating. I apparently have it down to a science. I manage to stand in front of the guy in the doorway between my kitchen and living room. My roommate enters through the kitchen, and I make a quick introduction over my shoulder. Since none of the guys are really tall, my roommate can't really get a good look at them. And if she could it would have to be quick because as soon as I've done the introductions, I usher the date through the doorway and out the already opened kitchen door into the stairwell. That's standard procedure for introducing my roommate to a date. But the Israeli stood in the kitchen and talked to my roommate and friend for a few minutes while I gathered my stuff together. (Which, however had already been gathered, but my roommate made me take off my jacket and put my bag down before he got there - so I couldn't rush the Israeli out of the apartment.)

The restaurant I wanted to go was booked solid for the evening, so we decided on a French restaurant on Smith. It was still a wait at 10 at night, but it is Dine-In Brooklyn week, so what do you expect? We had a really nice dinner, and I commented that this was the first time the Israeli and I had dined in a restaurant together. He argued that we ate out on our first date, which I responded that we've eaten out many times, just never in a restaurant, seated with a waiter and such. Fancy. The food was great and the wine was relaxing, and seriously I'm not sure how I became a girl who could get tipsy off of one glass of wine... but apparently I am.

We went back to his place, where he proceeded to model for me the clothes he had bought at Century 21 the day before. Most were ok, he's an Israeli who thinks he's European and dresses like a metrosexual. However, there was one t-shirt that just crossed the line. I honestly don't know anyone - straight, gay, male, female, ANYONE - who would be caught dead wearing this t-shirt he bought. He put it on, and I almost died laughing. Mean, I know. I wish I had a picture. Imagine an off-white cotton t-shirt, with the sleeves cut off, but not like a muscle t, more like a cap sleeve length, the bottom was also cropped so it hit above the belt on his (way too skinny) jeans. All this was bad enough without the pattern that was on the front of the shirt. It looked a bit like a Native American design, or a poorly illustrated tattoo design tee, symbols and muted colors like browns, oranges, greens, and reds... with a heart in the middle. It was the ugliest shirt I've ever seen. I did him a huge favor by laughing and telling him it was atrocious and to take it off.

After the fashion show, I was exhausted and went to bed. He stayed up and watched tv or something, I don't know. It was the first night we didn't go to bed together - or do anything - before sleeping. The next morning, I woke early and read more of Oracle Night (which we're reading separately now). We got out of bed around 9, and he had to be at a work event by 10 so I dropped him off on my way home.

He's coming over tomorrow night, and staying here because he's leaving at 4:30 in the morning to catch the train to JFK, and the A is much more accessible by my apartment than his. He's coming out to dinner with a friend and me, which means he will have met more of my friends than any guy (including the ex from last year) I've dated since moving to the city.

His family is coming to visit for half of April, all of May and into June. They are staying at his apartment... so he told me he will be spending many more nights at my place. We'll see about that. After his brother leaves on June 20th, he will have one or two weeks left before he leaves to go back to Israel. He's hinted that he has no place to stay when he's in the city - like he wants me to ask him to stay here - but that will be my last week of school and there is absolutely no way I'll even consider that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're back to "dating" the Isaraeli again. As long as you're enjoying yourself, I'm happy :o) teehee! I only want THE BEST for my Erica. MWAH! Have a fun sleepover tonight!