Saturday, March 03, 2007

4 weeks later.

When I spent the night at the Israeli's on Tuesday, he had mentioned something in passing about hanging out on Friday night. I didn't hear from him at all Weds. (with the exception of the text confirming that I did in fact leave my converse at his place that morning) or Thurs. So, around 4 this afternoon when I was feeling kind of anxious about it, I did something very girl-ish. I called him, under the pretenses that I was only calling him to find out when I could come by to pick up my shoes. I don't usually call the Israeli, ever actually, and especially not to make plans. I let him do the calling. I'm usually the passive-aggressive pursuer, choosing to rely on text messages over phone calls. I left him a message and saw that he was online when I got home from school. He IMed me - "You're really attached to those shoes?" was his exact comment. Why shouldn't I be? We chatted a bit online, and he asked if I wanted to come over for a few hours before he had to go to services tonight. For an Israeli who claimed to not be religious at all, he's been to some sort of Shabbat function the past 3 weeks in a row (and seriously, and it's only been 4 weeks (5 weekends) that I've known him.) 3/5 weeks of shabbat, sounds pretty religious to me. Which is fine, and I don't mind, but then don't claim to be not religious at all.

So I went over to pick up my shoes. He made some sort of remark that I should get there quickly. When I asked why he said, "oh, well unless you are really coming over just for your shoes." I took my time getting there - on purpose. I showed up about an hour later, knowing full well that he had to leave in about an hour. And for some reason as soon as I got there, everyone I had been trying to reach via phone/text the past few days chose that time to get back to me. My phone wouldn't stop ringing, and a few calls I answered (I know it's rude, but he ALWAYS answers his phone - unless we're right in the middle of something.. and then he won't. But otherwise, it's fair game.) I am going to CT to visit my sister, and my parents are coming up too tomorrow into Sunday, and the Israeli asked me when was the last time I saw my sister. I said that I think it was a little over a month ago, and his response was, wow that's a long time. I don't think so at all, and I happened to say to the Israeli - Well, I've known you for a month now, and I don't think that's a very long time. He responded, yes, but it feels like much longer, doesn't it? And he's right. It does. And I was having a conversation today with a co-worker about this very topic. Israelis are kind of intense with the way they spend their time. Today is the only time I've ever seen the Israeli that I did not spend the night at his apartment. (He also has been bugging me a lot lately about the fact that he has never been to my place - I have a roommate, he doesn't...why would we ever come here?). It feels like I've known the Israeli for a long time, as each one of our dates counts as at least one and half if not double the amount of a regular date. It also creates a greater sense of familiarity with the other person, because you are sharing so much time, space, togetherness...

Anyway, my time today with the Israeli was quick, and I ended up falling asleep on his couch while he was getting showered and ready for his night. I dropped him off at the bus station - and that was it. So different in so many aspects than our date that took place just 4 weeks ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good that your phone rang off hte hook when you were there - now the Israeli knows that you're popular!!! :o)