Saturday, March 17, 2007

Grating

Tonight I had my very own dinner party for 5. Ok, it was supposed to be for more people, but only a few were brave enough to weather the storm outside, and truly I don't blame those who didn't come. Had I been in their shoes, I don't know that I would've left the comforts of my own home either. It was a nice group, 2 of the teachers from school came, and one brought her roommate... and the Israeli. I was counting on at least one of my guy friends to show up (one of whom is unintentionally obnoxious, and I thought would lessen the irritability factor of the Israeli.

The Israeli called me at 3, to see if I needed any help getting ready. Of course I always take on more than I can handle, so I was welcoming help wherever I could get it. He said he was going to the gym, and he'd try to be over around 6. This was fine because people weren't supposed to be showing up until 8 or so. He also said he'd be staying over, which I had already planned on that. He called me around 5 saying he just left the gym, and he had just got home from the gym, and still needed to shower, he was running late and would try to be there around 7. Still fine, my stuff was actually coming together much nicer than I planned, and I had gotten a lot of cooking done in a quicker time than expected. I showered and got dressed, and my phone rang around 6:50. It was the Israeli. Wow, I thought, he's actually early for once. (This boy is never on time.) Oh, but I shouldn't have assumed. He wasn't early, oh no. He hadn't even left his apartment yet. He couldn't find his cell phone, and was having a minor breakdown about that. I get pretty upset when I can't find my cell phone, but I can manage a day without it. He had been looking for his for the past hour or so, and still couldn't find it. I'm not sure exactly what he wanted me to do about it. Besides, I was trying to get done at that point all the stuff that I was counting on him to help me out with 2 hours ago.

He showed up around 8:15, not even a little bit early, late as usual. He proceeded to interact with my friends, in his normal Israeli (aka obnoxious) way. One of them is the one who dates only Israelis, so she had plenty to talk to him about. He seemed to get along fine with the other 2 guests as well, but he was grating my nerves. Everything he said, did, his presence was like nails against a chalkboard, and I just wanted him to stop talking, eating, breathing - even. I can not date this guy. I may be able to have a good time with him one on one, but the interpersonal interactions are way too much. I was looking forward to him staying though, maybe just to help me clean up and go to bed... but it's a snowy, dreary night. It's a nice night to have company. When everyone else was going to leave, he goes and gets his coat out. I looked at him kinda funny and said, I thought you were staying. He was more concerned with finding his phone and insisted that he had to leave. After that I wasn't just irritated, I was pissed off. While everyone was getting there stuff together, I was standing in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room, every time the Israeli passed me, he'd rub my back. To which I would respond with a classic 12 year old behavior of shrugging him off of me. Every time. You'd think he'd get the hint.

I gave him a hug goodbye at the door, but that's only because I gave everyone else a hug there too. He called me about half an hour ago, but I was on the other line making plans for tomorrow with the acupuncturist - who is just looking so appealing after this bad Israeli evening - and I didn't answer the call waiting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lesson learned: Never date an Israeli! They are all evil men!