Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Serial Dating

So recently, I've been referred to, by more than one person, as a serial dater (in fairness I referred to myself this way as well). Which I guess when I face the facts, is true. But I'm enjoying (almost) every minute of it. And in the quest for finding the right person to date... you have to date a lot of people. I just dont waste any resources that are available.

Also, apparently my blog has now become a group effort as of late, and today's commentary will be brought to you by my best friend Debbie and the letters A & C (just because it's so damn hot out.)

Debbie: I was very jealous when I read that Kate was able to blog for Erica. So, now it’s my turn!!! As Erica’s best friend, I have been living vicariously through her exciting dating life! I have created a system of Jewish stars by which I can judge her dates (1 Jewish star being an awful date and 5 meaning “Let’s get married!). Monday night’s “Jury Duty Boy” got 1 Jewish star. Actually, I judged that one as soon as she sent me the text message, “HELP!” I attempted to give her the “fake emergency” phone call, but she wanted to stick out the date for an interesting blog (so all you avid blog-readers had better thank Erica for “taking one for the team”).

Erica is now going to describe last night’s 2 dates (YES…TWO! Two in one night! You go girl!), and I’m going to interpret them for you all (anything in parentheses and italics is Debbie’s inner monologues coming out):

Date #1: I met up with my first date around 6:00pm. He was tall, skinny, and totally my type (he wasn’t a red-head, so I don’t think he was TOTALLY her type, but we’ll just ignore that). Anyway, so we went into a bar and each had a beer, and settled into a booth (Booths are always better than chairs b/c you can play footsies and nobody will notice). I talked a lot about school, movies, and anything else I could think of (This is better than “Jury Duty Boy” since she was actually able to talk on this date!). He was responsive, but I had a really hard time hearing him. I felt like I had to ask “What??” after everything he said (ugh.. don’t you hate that?! It’s like talking to foreigners. You don’t want to offend them, so you eventually stop saying “What??” and just smile and nod). I felt bad about that, but the bar, which was relatively empty when we got there, got pretty loud quickly. So, I didn’t feel like there was a great chemistry between us. He was really nice and we talked for about an hour, but after we both finished our beers, it was time to go…and when I say "we" talked... that's really mostly I talked, he responded. So I was able to go home, grab some dinner and prepare for date #2 (who I nicknamed “Albino Boy” from his J-Date picture)...

Date #2: Date 2 started late. It takes me an hour to get to Astoria via the train, and we were meeting at the beer garden (Excuses excuses! Don’t let her fool you – Erica tends to be late a lot)*. So we met up around 9:30pm, got a pitcher of Hoegaarden (HAHA! There’s a beer with that name?! That’s freakin’ great! I’d like to plant me a garden of hoes! “There some hos in da house!”) and sat outside in the sweltering heat. It would have been an awesome date spot, had it not been a billion degrees (You’re telling me! The A.C. in my office broke yesterday and I’m dying here!!! And it’s not getting fixed until Friday! I think Erica’s blog is the only thing that’s keeping me alive!!!). We ended up splitting 3 pitchers, where I ended up having the equivalent of probably 4 beers, and he maybe 6 or 7 (Lush!). Something I need to really learn: it is NOT ok to get drunk on a first date (Lesson learned? I think not! I guarantee there will be a repeat performance of this drinking and dating problem Erica has..haha). So it's hot, and it's late - why it was still a million degrees at midnight is beyond me (Because we live in NY/NJ, where humidity is our middle name in the summer!). So we decide to go back to his place where it’s cooler (Good idea…can I work out of his place?! It’s probably cooler than my damn office…sorry..I digress). K.. and I know - re: Fish Out of Water - what going back to a guy’s place means, and when I've had 4 beers, my inhibitions are lowered slightly. And did I mention before that this guy was good looking...like really cute? (I don’t see the problem here) So, we're walking back to his place and he decides he needs to make out with me on the street...which is ok, it was late and no one was around and we were just kissing (PDA! AHHH! Next thing you know, Erica will be into voyeurism!). Damn I've become a kissing whore lately. Before this week I hadn't kissed a boy since before I left for Peru... and now... I've made out with 3 different boys in less than one week (Definition of stud – ERICA!). Ok…so I went to his place, we made out, and we both ended up falling asleep. I – thankfully! - woke up around 3:30am, and let myself out. I wanted nothing less than to wake up in a strange place with a strange boy, looking all sweaty and gross from the night before (I still don’t see the problem here). So he was still passed out, and I left, and he was none the wiser - and don’t forget I had an hour on the trains to go from there…not to mention that the trains run MUCH slower in the wee hours of the morning (Wouldn’t it be great if she had run into subway stalker here?!)!!! So anyway, I'll describe him: he was cute - tall, blond hair, blue eyes - if I didn't know better I'd say he was German or Scandinavian even (Albino!!!). He could have been a poster child for the Nazi youth movement had he been around at that time (which I think I told him), and he used to work in theater, doing tech stuff (THEATER?! Wait…why didn’t she mention this before?! I LOVE him now! Anyone who has anything to do with theater is good in my books!), so we talked a lot about that. He works in the fashion industry now and does sourcing for clothing companies (Are we sure he’s straight?). We talked about everything: books, our jobs, theater, the city... it seems like we talked for a long time, but I guess it was only about 3 hours before we went back to his place. Total it was from about 9:30 until 2am - when we both fell asleep.

If either one of them wanted to go out again, I would….definitely. But I'm not going to go out of my way to make it happen.

Debbie’s Final Judgement: Date #1 gets 3 Jewish stars (“So-So” rating). He was a good guy, but the date was short, and Erica could barely hear anything he said! It doesn’t seem like there was too much chemistry. I don’t think we’d kick this dude out of bed, but yeah…he doesn’t have the “Debbie Seal of Approval.” Date #2 gets 4 Jewish stars (“Good” rating). He was cute, fun, and spent a nice amount of time with Erica. Judging from Erica’s lack of complete and total excitement and giddiness, I don’t think he’s anything to write home to mom about. So, it sounds like she had 2 decent dates, but love is not in the air as of yet.

*In my own defense about Debbie saying that I am late a lot - Most importantly, I was on time for the date. What I meant when I said it was starting late was meant in terms of the hour of the date... but thanks Deb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! I love being a "Guest Blogger." I aspire to be a guest blogger again someday :o)