Friday, June 09, 2006

Fish Out of Water

It was everything it should have been. I met up with my date outside the designated bar in Midtown. He mentioned that he was hungry so we took a cab ride over to a very nice Italian restaurant on the Upper West Side. We had pleasant conversation the entire way, and things were looking good. Dinner progressed nicely. Wow, could this actually be a good date? We chatted easily throughout dinner and both seemed to be enjoying ourselves. After dinner, we walked around the UWS, around to Central Park West. The conversation continued and there was definitely some playful teasing. He mentioned that he was not in the mood to go to a bar, and asked me if I wanted to go back to his apartment.

Ok. I'm not dumb. I know what going up to a guy's apartment entails... and at this point, after the string of bad dates and weird men I had been meeting, I deserved a good healthy make-out session!

So up in the boy's apartment, we made small talk on the couch. He was definitely sitting close enough that we were touching. He first put his hand so it was touching mine, then his arm around me. He says, "I think you're real cute" and leans in for the kill. I wasn't expecting what happened next...

Have you ever seen the way a fish moves his mouth? open. shut. open. shut. Yes. That was this guys killer kissing style. I actually did not even know what to do. I tried to make the best of it, to see if I could adapt my style to match his. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad. I couldn't even figure out what to do! He proceeded to fish kiss my chin and neck while I sat there and pretended it wasn't as bad as it actually was. 10 excruciating minutes later, I managed to stop him, and say that I needed to catch the train because I had to be up early today. I was literally sopping wet from my chin to my nose when I left his apartment.

Of course, he was a complete gentleman and walked me all the way to the bus stop, and gave me a less sloppy kiss goodnight.

What should I do? Is there hope to mold a guys kissing style this late in the game? Do I even want to bother and try again? If the date hadn't been so nice otherwise... I wouldn't even think twice about it. But we definitely got along and it clearly was the best jdate I've had thus far. But that doesn't say much.
But then again, there are always other fish in the sea (hopefully no more "fish kissers" though!)

No comments: