Thursday, August 03, 2006

Heat Wave

Dating during a heat wave is about as fun as slamming your fingers in a door - repeatedly. Actually, it's really not so bad until you get to the subway, and then it's like an oven. Which means showing up for the date is now about 10x more nerve wracking than it is on a normal occasion. Is my hair now 5 times larger than it was when I left the apartment? Or better yet, is it plastered down with sweat? Is my face glistening? These are the things I worry about now as I walk from the subway to my date's desired bar of choice. And that's the other thing, the dates have become boring themselves. I mean there is not too much to do on a first date to begin with it... but one of my favorite things to do is to meet at a park and take a walk in the city. This weather provides no opportunity for outdoor activities, which is really unfortunate, because in the summer, the city is at it prime for outdoor events. Sunsets at the harbor, walk along the promenade, outdoor concerts and plays, movies, there is so much to do - and no one wants to sit outside and sweat on a date. So, this is how it goes now... meet for a drink at a bar. Have one or two drinks, conversation, maybe if the feeling is right - dinner after.

So last night, I was on my 4th date of the week. I, being so agreeable, trekked up to the UES during rush hour, right before the Yankees game started (read: the train was PACKED). I am not usually in the UES, so I double checked the directions before I left... Somehow I got it into my head that the bar was on 1st and 84th.. or between 84th and 85th. It wasn't... but it wasnt far, so I had to call the guy, tell him I couldn't find the bar, which is so classy. I was 2 blocks south of where I should have been, but it still made me late for the date. Once I arrive and meet my date (who is clearly - and not surprisingly - shorter than he claimed to be), we have a few drinks, talk, laugh. It's fine. It's nothing special. He was nice, we went to dinner after the drinks, but still, there were no sparks. I didn't feel anything for this guy. He walked me to the subway, and that was that.

I am getting really tired of the same date, with just different people. I could have these conversations in my sleep. I go into autopilot sometimes, and just tune the guy out. I can talk about my job, books I've read, my life in general - without thinking about it. Sometimes I snap back into a conversation, and the guy is in mid-story, sometimes related to something I can figure out... sometimes not, and I have to do my best to follow along.

Anyway... what I think I'm coming to is that this serial dating thing is not for me. It's not as fun as it should be. I am not enjoying it as much as I once was. Maybe the defeatist attitude is coming from 3 out of 4 dates this week being less than par. Maybe I'll feel differently once the heat has subsided, and I can enjoy myself on a date without thinking how gross I feel.

Today is a date free day - my only one this week. Tomorrow it's back in the game, renewed and refreshed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn "Toothy" for cancelling! Birthday schmirthday..whatever! As for heat wave date...you always need to remember: Heat and Onions don't mix well!

Anonymous said...

YOU SHOULD TRY MORE UNCONVENTIONAL ARENAS IN WHICH TO TEST OUT FIRST DATES. BOWLING, FOR EXAMPLE. OR SOMETHING SPORTY LIKE THAT BUT NOT TOO TRYING. TAKE A CHEAP COOKING CLASS TOGETHER. MAYBE THE BOOZE DOESN'T ACTUALLY HELP (EVEN THO I'M PRO-BOOZE)? I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY. I GIVE YOU SERIOUS PROPS FOR GETTING YOURSELF OUT THERE AND MEETING PEOPLE. FOR SURE!! YOU GO GIRL!