Monday, August 14, 2006

First is the Worst, Second is the Best...

I took a vacation from dating for a week. Well, 5 days off is kind of like a vacation. Last night, I ended up seeing one of the guys I went out with during my week of a million dates again. This was date #2 of the double header that week (The Albino at the Beer Garden). We decided since last night was a much more enjoyable evening to spend at the Beer Garden, we should give it another shot. So I headed over to Astoria again for a fun night. The more time I spend with the Albino, the more I like him. I think I convinced myself that he was too good looking for me, and not to even bother getting my hopes up on that one, and in turn did not fully enjoy our first date as much as I could have. Although, of all my dates that week, it was by far the most enjoyable. So, I drove to Astoria instead of testing my patience with the trains this weekend. This turned out to be a smart move, no traffic, less than half the travel time, and a fool proof way to ensure I would not get drunk on the date.

I drove to his apartment and we had a beer at his place before going to the Beer Garden. This date was exactly like the last date, just in reverse... and I didn't have to sneak out afterwards. We made out at his place before going to the beer garden, and it was even better than the last time. Maybe because I was not drunk, maybe because I wasn't so worried that he was only making out with me because he was drunk... whatever the case, it was better. After a while, we finally managed to get out the door and head over to the beer garden. I like 2nd dates a lot better than first ones for the sole reason of not having to have "first date" talk. We knew all that crap, and we could still have a real conversation. Good Sign! It was fun and flirty conversation, with some real intelligent conversation thrown in every now and then for good measure. We argued about the correct use of the past participle (yes, that's the elementary teacher in me) and tried to take unsuspecting photos of each other on my camera. It was truly an uneventful night that turned out to be a lot of fun. We had only one pitcher this time (instead of the 3 last time) and decided to call it a night (it was well past 2 am at this point and I still had to drive back to Brooklyn). We got into a debate on the walk home over whether the government (and in turn the education system) panders too much to non-english speaking people living in America. This turned into an hour long discussion outside his apartment, and a really nice change of pace. I've been so caught up in date talk, I'd almost forgot what it was like to have a real conversation. It was a good, healthy debate where we both were making very valid and lucid points for being slightly drunk (him - he drank 2/3 of the pitcher) and incredibly tired. I left at 3:30 am feeling as if I had just had one of the best nights I've had in a really long time.

2nd dates are a world of difference compared to first dates. While I've talked to almost all of the guys I've gone out with over the past few weeks a couple times, this is the only one right now that has the sense of potential.

My roommate's advice is to stop going on first dates. I wish I could skip the first date, I am tired of first dating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Third is the one with the hairy chest?