Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Origin of Umbrellas

Tonight was a good date. I was really not looking forward to this date, and came actually very close to canceling it last minute because of recent events with friends that were taking precedence. I am very glad that I didn't. From his pictures my friends warned me that this guy was going to be too nerdy, a boring conversationalist, but nice. It's a good thing I don't judge people to harshly by what they put down on paper. My friends would have been sorely disappointed. He was cuter (and much less geekier) than his pictures, and one of the most interesting conversationalists I have been on a date with yet. I wasn't disappointed for even a split second.

We met at Fraunces Tavern for a drink before heading over to Water Street to see a 1940s Film Noir on a rooftop overlooking the water. It was a gorgeous night. I show up (on time!) and after we hug hello, the first thing he says to me is "Do you know the origin of umbrellas?" I had to pause to try to figure out if he was asking me if I knew where umbrellas originated or if I knew the etymology of the word. (neither of which would I have known the answer) He clearly saw my utter confusion to what he was asking me, and clarified that he was talking about the origin of the word, and was thinking about it because of all the people in Manhattan who use umbrellas to shade the sun and was wondering if umbrellas were originally meant as a sun shade. I looked it up when I got home. They most certainly were.

From this introductory conversation starter I conclude that my date is not just intelligent, he's the type of really incredibly smart that makes me feel like any sentence I form over the course of the entire date is comparable to that of a kindergartener. I immediately become self conscious and have a hard time forming coherent thoughts. I relaxed a little bit after the beer. We talked about his PhD dissertation, and the joys of being off for the summer (he's on the faculty for a brand new writing program at a small city university). After drinks we walked over to Water St. to the rooftop for the movie. It was still early, so we stood up on the walkway overlooking the water and talked some more. I was still nervous about everything coming out of my mouth sounding all wrong, but I was able to contribute more intelligently at this point. When the rooftop started crowded up, we settled in a nice spot on the fake grass (they even had fake dirt too) and chatted until the movie started.

The movie was good, the night was beautiful... I was just so happy to have a good time in enjoyable company. We walked over to the subway, where I told him bits and pieces about the subway stalker (he asked if I felt safe taking the train to bed-stuy...), and then he told me a crazy story which is one of those stories that is way too nuts to be anything but true.

For your reading pleasure I will transcribe his telling of his craziest subway experience:

Guy: So, I was waiting for the train and this homeless guy comes onto the platform holding a kitchen knife. Like a steak knife. He was holding it straight out in front of him so anyone who got in front of him would clearly have been knifed.
Me: No way.
G: No, really. So I run up to the payphone and call the cops and let them know. But it just so happens that the train pulled up and a cop got off at that station, right where the guy was. So, the cop tries to get the guy to give up his knife, but this guy was clearly crazy, and he was not giving up his knife. So the cop shoots him... in the balls.
Me: NO! Oh my god!
G: (Laughing) Yeah, and after he was shot, he ran onto the tracks and into the subway tunnel. I think he was on speed or something.
(clearly this is poorly transcribed as I'm writing the conversation out about 3 hours after it happened, but you get the point.)

At this point my train pulls up, and there is a very slightly awkward goodbye, and I thank him for a great evening, get on the train, and go home.

My favorite date hands down, activity wise. He's a really nice guy, and I'll definitely put the effort into trying to see him again.

Tomorrow is my last day of my Jdate subscription... but don't worry, the dates don't end there. I have alternative means, and I plan to continue, I just need a break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so glad you had such a great date. Good thing you didn't listen to my advice ;o) teehee! When one thing ends for one person, another one begins for another person. I love you, Er!