Monday, December 31, 2007

Bored to tears.

I was bored this past week, CK went away to Boston, and I've been thinking... really, this whole girlfriend thing is lame. And I can do better. Way better. So I decided what this last week of the year needed was a date. End the year right. So I did just that. I met a guy online, we had great email communication, and I was really looking forward to meeting him in person. We planned to meet up for drinks on Sunday night. Of course because I had been so looking forward to it, it was doomed from the start. Disappointment abounds. I knew I should not have gotten my hopes up.

From the start, I was disappointed. He was less attractive than the picture he sent, which wasn't anything to write home about in the first place. Also, in the picture it was hard to see how tall he was or what his build was. Turns out he's a bit taller than me, and small framed. Not bad, but not good either. I had taken a risk and wore my heels that are pointy toed and about 2 inches. I was about even in height with him, but because I'm a bigger build, it just made me feel huge. I thought that could be worked out if we had really good chemistry. I've dated small guys before, and it's worked out. We were going to go to a bar on 2nd street around Chestnut, but apparently it's closed. So, we took a walk over to a bar that this guy thought was on the corner of 3rd and Spruce. It wasn't. 3rd and Spruce came and went, we ended up turning down Pine. Now CK lives on Pine, and all I'm thinking was, damn, I should've parked in his driveway and saved myself all this walking. The bar was past 2nd and Pine... so really, we walked way out of our way to get there, and it was rainy and cold out. Also, this guy was a brisk walker. Now, I like to walk at a fairly quick pace. I lived in the city for 2 years, I'm not going to be meandering down the street at a leisurely pace, especially in the rain. But I did have heels on, and I was doing my best to keep up. The quick walker though wanted to keep the lead. He walked a good 2 or 3 steps ahead of me at some times, and I honestly thought if CK hadn't been in Boston, I would've just turned around and go to his place.

We got to the bar, which turned out to be less of a bar and more of a fancy restaurant, and ordered some beers. We had really strained, not connected conversations for about an hour and a half while we drank the beers. If I thought this date was going to be a cure for my boredom, I was wrong, it was only increasing my desire to drink through the pain. Thankfully, my friends from school were at a bar in Old City not far from where we were supposed to be originally, and I told him that I had to go meet them. We each paid for our own drinks (there wasn't even an offer on his part), and we walked back down to Chestnut. Of course the entire time, he was still trying to outwalk me, practically running ahead of me. I wasn't going to risk slipping in the rain in my heels, I am not the most coordinated of people - plus I started working out with a trainer again this week so my muscles could give at any moment's notice.

I ran into one of my work friends on my way from the date to the bar, and when she asked me how the date went I told her that I would take a guy with a girlfriend hands down, so long as I don't have to do any more dates like this one. Yeah, it was that bad that it made me think, hmmm maybe this thing with CK isn't SO bad.

Fortunately, the bar had some good things in store. My friend's friends from high school also came out, and one of the guys there got to talking with me. He was funny, and probably really drunk, but we spent a good while talking and laughing, and it restored my hope again that I will not have to settle for dating a guy who has a girlfriend. I don't think anything will come of this friend of a friend, but it was nice to meet him and be reminded that interesting men that are not taken still exist. As for the quick-walker, I hope to never hear from him again. He'd have to be pretty dense to think that there was any chance there.

My last date of 2007, not so great.... but will there be better in store for 2008? Let's hope.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Ok, so I'm a bit confused now. Did he come to the bar with you and your friends? Or, did you part ways on the way to see your friends? You didn't mention anything about saying goodbye to this loser! haha! Was it an awkward hug, a handshake, a kiss on the cheek, or just a "seeeeya!"?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, to clarify - when we got to Chestnut, we went our separate ways. No awkward goodbye, no hug, just "Ok, thanks, Happy New Year" There was no, let's do this again, blah blah blah... It was just over.