Sunday, November 18, 2007

Will and Grace.

Today was the Philly marathon. My very good friend from Brooklyn was running the marathon with her father, and I promised her I'd come to see her finish. I mentioned to CK last time I saw him that I'd be in the city for this, and he said he'd come too.

I wasn't feeling great all week, the cough of death comes and goes in vicious spurts. I should probably go to the doctor. On Friday I was feeling bad enough to think that I might not make it out today for the marathon. But alas, I pulled through and made it out this morning. CK had called me yesterday to see what the plan was for today, and I returned his call no more than half an hour later, but he didn't pick up. I left a message telling him to call me if he wanted to meet up, and that I'd be in the city by 10 am. By midnight, I still hadn't heard from him, so I texted him just asking if he still was planning on coming, and if so, to please let me know. This morning, I woke up and still no word from CK. I was getting a little irritated with the fact that I hadn't heard from him, and when he finally did call around 10:15 while I was driving into the city, I was probably a little short with him due to the irritation. I decided it would be easier if he just met up with us at my friend's hotel after the race ended and we had all convened rather than have him try to find me in the mess of the marathon.

We met up around noon, and all of us (6 total - 3 had raced, 3 had not) hung out in the hotel room while the 3 racers showered and recouped enough to go get some food. While we were hanging out a strange conversation came up between CK and my friend's father. My friend's father mentioned that he was often hit on by gay men. CK commented that he too was often hit on by men (I was unaware of this). They were discussing how you politely reject a gay man, and the topic came up of how you can tell if someone is gay or not. My theory is that men probably don't think about whether the guy is gay or not before they hit on him. They probably just see a man they find attractive and give it a shot. Isn't that how it works all the time? I mean if you hit on a girl in a bar, you don't necessarily know she's straight either, right? I mentioned that there was someone I had seen on a hayride recently who was probably gay and didn't know it yet. This brought up the topic of people who may be gay but not know it yet. The guy I was talking about was young, probably in high school, and maybe he was already out... but after years of my parents and just about everyone else telling me I'm a "gay magnet," you start to pick up on things. Anyway, CK mentions that he has a friend who is most likely gay but doesn't know it yet. I asked him how he knew this and CK made some sort of comment, that I wish I had written down because it was so absurd. He said he could tell his friend was gay because he watched a lot of Will and Grace, and he liked it. I blasted him for this one. I seriously went off on him for a good 20 minutes about how a TV show can't determine someone's sexual orientation. My friend's dad found this extremely amusing and entertaining. Lots of examples were brought in, and CK and I debated this topic for a while. It wasn't a bad argument, I was just seriously dumbfounded by the stupidity of the comment he had just made. It made me look at him a little differently.

The 6 of us went to lunch, and throughout lunch my friend's dad brought up "gay" comments to CK, which I found hilarious. CK was a good sport about it, and took being picked on pretty well. He got a little defensive at times, but maybe that's because the girl he's dating and someone's dad were basically calling him gay for a good 2 hours.

After lunch, we parted ways. CK had ridden his bike to the hotel, so he had to ride it back in the rain. On my way home, I called him just to make sure he got home ok in the rain. He called me back, and asked if I wanted to come over and hang out for a bit. I went over and we played some Wii, watched The Graduate, and took a nap. It was a really lovely Sunday afternoon. We did not make out... at all. I'm hoping this is because of the cough of death (I had multiple cough attacks during the movie), and not because we're regressing back into "no action" territory. I'm hoping that it's just the cough. If it weren't for the occasional kissing, I'd say we'd have a pretty good chance of becoming the next Will and Grace.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Haha..yeah...I'm a gay man b/c I watch "Will and Grace" all of the time! Man oh man! Oh Er...it now seems like you have a "gay boyfriend" - watch this video: http://www.ryantown.com/gayboyfriend/
It's TOO funny!

Logan said...

Wow Debbie, I didn't need that song stuck in my head.