Sunday, August 19, 2007

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.

"I'll give you 3 guesses for what could be worse than a 1st date with the Yeah, Yeah guy." This was a text message I sent mid-date on my bad second date with the Yeah, Yeah guy. I was wrong to think that I should look past his social awkwardness and maybe he would warm up after another date. This date was awkward from the get-go and did not ease up one bit over the course of the 5 hours. If anything, the awkwardness intensifies when you realize that it's not getting any better.

The Yeah, Yeah guy sent me an email asking me out for this weekend, originally Saturday, but I had already made plans, so I suggested Friday night. I would have much rather have gone out on Friday than tonight, but this seemed to be the only night that was going to work. I should have just canceled. We made plans to meet up at Union Square to see the Simpson's movie, which I was looking forward to seeing, and did thoroughly enjoy. It's bad when you can fill enough conversation to last through that little bit of time when you are waiting for the movie to start, right? It was bad, but I was hoping we could at least make some sort of small talk. No... I would ask lots of questions, and he would respond, and sometimes follow it up with a "what about you?" But he didn't generate any of his own questions. And I don't believe it was because he was uninterested in me; I do believe it's because he may not actually even know how, or it doesn't even occur to him. So, a lot of the conversation ended with me shaking my head at something he said, waiting for him to follow up with something... and then a few minutes of silence until I could comment on something or ask him something else.

After the movie (which was a blissful hour and a half where no conversation was needed!), we went across the street and had dinner at Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man, which was in fact delicious and the highlight of my evening. While we waited for our table, the Yeah Yeah guy went outside to smoke a cigarette (which is when I texted my friend), and I immediately thought that him smoking would be a great out as to giving him a reason why I thought this wasn't going to work. That's pretty bad to be thinking up excuses to tell someone why I don't want to see them again before we're even sat for dinner. It's so Aiden and Carrie for me to be like "I can't date a smoker." But, I really don't like dating smokers, and I don't want to have to tell this guy that he's too socially awkward (and I have dated LOADS of socially awkward guys, so he must me really awkward) and makes me uncomfortable. Smoking seems like an easy out. Dinner was ok, dessert was most delicious (although the conversation sucked throughout the entire meal - which kind of makes everything taste a little bit worse). I insisted on splitting the bill with him, because I didn't want to feel like I owed him anything. He walked me to the subway, and I went to give him a hug. I think he may have tried to kiss my cheek, because I heard a strange kissing noise near my ear. I pulled back before there was any contact.

I think the problem with this second date, unlike my second date with other socially awkward guys - like T or D - is that I ran out of things to say. I felt like I had exhausted ALL of my conversation with him from the first date, could find little to pick up on from then, and then had a small bank of conversation to draw from at the beginning of this date. He didn't make any effort to keep up his end of the bargain by at least asking me a question or something that was related to ANYTHING we had talked about last time. So, if he's socially inept enough (which I think he might be) to ask me out a 3rd time, I'll know better.

The Israeli comes back tomorrow! I can't believe it's been 3 months since he left. I can't believe I didn't hook up with a single person the entire time! A whole summer of a few dates, but nothing physical... this way I can tell the Israeli I was saving myself for him.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wow...that date sounds pretty brutal. You're lucky most of it was spent watching a movie! No more second dates w/socially awkward guys! HAHA! Have fun with The Israeli ;o)