Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A night to myself.

Well, I'd like to say it's been nothing but bliss since the Israeli arrived late yesterday morning.... but, I'd be lying to you if I did. He arrived at the apartment around 11:30, right around the time when I was officially freaking out that he had somehow gotten his flight information wrong (I checked LaGuardia airport - there were NO scheduled flights from Seattle!), or that he had missed his plane, I even checked for plane crashes. None of this happened in fact, he flew in on time to JFK, and should have had a fairly easy time getting to my apartment from there. His flight landed at 9:30, and I can't actually imagine it really taking 2 hours to get from JFK to my place, but somehow it did.

The reunion was very nice. I was nervous as anything going to answer the door, and how no idea how the greeting was going to go. We hugged, and then kissed, and then made our way upstairs where we hugged and kissed some more. The afternoon was really lovely. He gave me the presents that he bought for me while he was traveling, which include a pen, a key chain, and a necklace. Lovely stuff indeed. We spent a while in bed, and then got a delicious brunch (even though it was well past lunch time) at the Boerum Hill Food Co. - a favorite of mine that he had never been to. We came back to the apartment and took a nap, on and off throughout the afternoon. We were going to go to the movies, but a friend of mine invited us to dinner with her brother and sister who were in town visiting this week, and I really wanted to meet them. So off to Joya instead of the movies, where we had a good dinner... however, the Israeli in public was something I had forgotten about. I felt myself getting more and more irritated with his mannerisms that I had so easily forgotten over the past 3 months. Dinner was amazing though, and it seemed to go fairly well, although the Israeli was being... well, Israeli.

After dinner, we came back to the apartment, and my (now ex) roommate was here, trying to finish up some of her packing. Moving is stressful for anyone who is involved, and I asked the Israeli if he would mind taking a ride up to Inwood to help my roommate move her things so she wouldn't have to schlep it on the subway. He was fine with that, and I offered it to my roommate. She declined the offer to help, and maybe there was just too much tension in the air, so the Israeli and I went for a walk to give my roommate some space to clear out what she needed to do. We walked up to the Promenade, and even though it was drizzly and rainy, it was a beautiful night. While I vented out the whole moving process, the Israeli was great. He was understanding, and very supportive of my ranting and raving during the entire walk. We reached the Promenade, and just sat on a bench and enjoyed the views of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge. We walked down to try to get some ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, but they were closed. We walked back through Brooklyn Heights, peering into some of the amazing brownstones and talking about our dream houses, and what we would do with it all if we had the money to spend. We stopped at McDonald's for some ice cream (the only place left that was open at this hour on a Monday night!), and walked the rest of the way home in the rain.

My roommate was gone when we got back to the apartment, but I was unsettled by how the situation was left between us. Between raging and moping about it, the Israeli was really great the whole night - talking to me in Hebrew (he's trying to teach me some... I'm learning slowly), and joking around. We went to sleep around 2, and the Israeli was going to come to the gym with me this morning. I slept on and off throughout the whole night. After sleeping alone for 3 months, sharing a bed/space takes some getting used to.

I practically had to drag the Israeli out of bed in the morning and to the gym. He had to go on a tour with a consultant as part of the free offer for the gym, but I had to meet with my trainer so I couldn't stay with him. He came over during my session and was fairly awkward in his introduction to my trainer (although no more awkward than he is usually...), so my trainer thinks I can do better. I'm not saying I disagree. By that time this morning, I needed some time to myself. Nearing 24 hours straight with the Israeli, the first thing I said to my trainer in the morning was "I'm ready for him to go home."

The Israeli spent the day at his old job, so I had time to pack. I got almost all of the kitchen packed, and I'm pretty pleased with my progress. If I can do 1 room a day, I will be done by Thursday! I was supposed to be done by the time the Israeli got here, but who am I kidding? I'll be glad to be packed before my brother comes with the truck Saturday morning! The Israeli called to invite me to go to dinner with him and his friend that I met before he left and her husband. I am in no mood for company, and the awkwardness I felt about making them speak English last time because I was there, was still there, so I decided to avoid the awkward situation and have a night to myself. I was definitely irritable with the Israeli before he left to go over there, but I think that's just my general mood these days. He told me he'd be back by 9. I told him if he wasn't back by 9, and if he didn't call me, I wouldn't talk to him for the rest of the time he was here. I have 2 hours to myself, and I plan to spend them in the best way possible. A glass of wine, some loud music, and trashing everything that's left in my kitchen. Exciting.

to be continued...

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Why are you and your (ex) roomie on bad terms now? I didn't know that it was weird between you two. As for The Israeli, the suspsense is mounting...did he get back by 9pm?!

Logan said...

Allright a clifhanger ending! Will the Israli come back on time? Will the kitchen get packed? Will i3roolkyngirl change her name to |>hillygirl or |0hillygirl or 5outhjerzygirl?


Logan's predictions:

Yes, or he'll at least call if he's late.

No, she'll drink wine and play on the computer procrastinating as long as possible.

Maybe, if she starts a whole new blog site.