Wednesday, June 07, 2006

per·son·al·i·ty

(n)
1. the complex of characteristics that distinguishes an individual or a nation or group; especially : the totality of an individual's behavioral and emotional characteristics
2. distinction or excellence of personal and social traits; also : a person having such quality

Hands down the dullest date I've been on. Ever. I mean this guy had the personality of a white wall. And not to mention, he was the spitting image of my ex... minus the glasses and he had hair (albeit not much). The resemblance was enough to creep me out completely. But looks aside, he could have redeemed himself had he presented anything remotely of interest.

So we met outside my favorite Thai restaurant in my neighborhood... and yes, the owners are starting to look at me a little funny (at least I'm loyal). The weather today was crappy, but I was determined to look cute despite the rain. All my efforts though were wasted on the non-responsive dullard I was forced to dine with. First off, his choice of dinner was boring... Pad Thai. A safe bet, in any Thai restaurant... of course, but boring none the less. The conversation was forced from the get-go, even though I am a very talkative person and will talk to anyone, about anything. I asked him questions about his job, and his responses were unenthused and boring. I talked about my job, which I can talk a blue-streak about, and my students provide some entertaining material. But nothing, I don't think this guy laughed one time the entire date. I dont think I'm a particularly funny person blatantly, but my sarcasm can usually muster at least a small laugh or at the very least a raise of the eyebrow. Talking to this guy was like trying to make a British Guard smile - the less he reacted, the harder I tried. Not really. I just kept talking. He must have finished his dinner a full 25 minutes before I did, because I was talking so much.
The one subject that we were able to converse about at length (at length for this date was a good 15 minutes of back and forth conversation) was our dogs. We both have dogs, yet both of our dogs live with our parents. Yup, that's it. The one connection we were able to make. We shared pictures on camera phones, and it was all very romantical. Or a huge stretch for common ground. You decide.

I watched the seconds tick away on my watch which has no second hand. Finally, after a very long hour and a half of the least interesting date ever, I told him I had to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy before it closed (true). Thanking him for dinner, I told him I had a nice time and it was fun (false).

At least I'll sleep well tonight... even writing about this date bored me.

Next Date: Tomorrow. We've had IM exchanges, one good phone convo, and I've been making out with a guy he knows from High School, but he doesn't know that. Should be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love your blogs,Er! I think you should write a book about the "Dos" and "Don'ts" of dating...and put all of your stories into the book! I think it would be a Best-Seller and Oprah might even add it to her "Book of the Month" club! Hopefully tonight will be a little bit better....best of luck! ;o)