Monday, June 05, 2006

Jdate doesn't stand for "Jesus date"

So, since my dating schedule has been slow this past week, this post is not a date, but a phone conversation that I had with a potential jdater. I had been talking through IM with this guy that had contacted me on jdate. He seemed nice, 28, from Brooklyn, an actor (although I'm not really sure what kind of work he does... Definitely wasn't good looking enough to be a successful actor). We had talked for a few nights on IM, had already arranged a date for the following Monday, and he asked me if he could call me that night, so we could talk on the phone. That sounded reasonable enough to me. So I gave him my number, but told him I would probably be in bed by midnight, so not to call past then.

He calls at 12:30. So already I know, he doesn't follow instructions well. I was well past asleep, and had actually gone to bed early that night, so I had been sleeping since 11. I was NOT happy to get up to answer my phone. So, after he established that he had woken me from my sleep... He tried to start a conversation with me. I was NOT having any of that. I politely told him that I was sleeping (again!!) and we could talk tomorrow if he wanted. He sounded genuinely put off by the fact that I was getting off the phone. Whatever.

He called the next day around 2:30, maybe he forgot that I'm a teacher... and I have to work during the day. He left me a message, this was what I heard... "Hey Babe, it's ..." Um, what?? Did he just call me BABE? I've talked to him maybe a handful of times on IM... and a half asleep phone call for 2 minutes. Babe?? I don't think so. He repeated it, a few times in the message, and it irked me each time.

I was driving home that day from Brooklyn to my parents house and knew that I'd have about 2 hours in the car free to talk. I called him back and within 5 minutes into the conversation I knew I would never want to meet this person. Before and after every single thing that came out of this guys mouth, he laughed. And not a nice, pleasant laugh... but this laugh, which phonetically, I guess would look something like, "HuuhHuuuh" (think a kind of Beavis and Butthead laugh..) and I found it to be the most unpleasant sound I had heard all day.

During the course of the conversation, I found out that he lived at home. He was turning 29 the following week, and had never finished (gone to?) college. Wow. So he started looking really unappealing really fast. He lives in an area of Brooklyn that is predominately religious Jews. So I asked him if he was religious. His response, "No, but my mother is." I asked, "Do you keep Kosher?" His response, "No." Now, I'm going to pause right here, and tell you that I didn't feel the need to clarify that he was Jewish. He met me through Jdate, enough said. Sadly, I should've asked.

I'm not sure how, but it came out somehow that his mom, while she's very religious, is a very religious CATHOLIC. Not a Jew. Um..Ok, I ask him, so are you Catholic? And he replies, well I'm both.

Now, at this point, I've already made up my mind that I don't want to go on the already planned date I have with him on Monday, but instead of telling him that... I'm going to have some fun.

Me: "You CAN'T be both. It's impossible. There's one thing that separates Christians from Jews. Just one. Do you know what that is?"
Him: "Um.. No."
Me: "Really? You can't think of one thing that all Christians believe in, that NO Jews believe in?"
Him: "ummm..."
Me: "Ok, I'll tell you! JESUS! No Jews believe in Jesus. Do you believe that Jesus is the messiah?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "Ok then, it's settled, you're not both, you're Christian. Because you believe in Jesus."
Him: "No, I'm both."
Me: "NO. You CAN'T be both! Who is Jewish in your family?"
Him: "My grandmother"
Me: "On what side?"
Him: "My Father's."
Me: "So you're not even really Jewish at all then!"
Him: "Well we go to my grandma's to celebrate the holidays."
Me: "My friends come to my house to celebrate holidays, it doesn't make them Jewish. The fact alone that you believe in Jesus... You are NOT Jewish. Not to mention that you weren't even raised Jewish."
<>
Me: "Why are you even on jdate anyway? You should really put in your profile that you're not Jewish. I think it's very misleading."
Him: "Well, I put that I'm unaffiliated."
Me: "Yes, but there is a choice on jdate that says 'other religion'. Clearly, I was under the impression that you were Jewish. Obviously, you need to make it clearer. Or not be on jdate. There are plenty of other dating sites you can go on, where you don't have to lie about your religion."

Things got pretty weird and awkward after that. The conversation ended shortly thereafter. I was thinking, surely this guy will not want to meet me after I completely belittled him on the phone for a cool 20 minutes. My plan worked partially. He did cancel the date on Monday. He had an audition (or so he says) but wanted to try to meet up afterward. He left this message while I was at work, and again.. Insisted on calling me babe. I didn't call him back. Hoping he would get the hint. He did not. And still has not. He asks me out consistently and persistently.

I am thinking about telling him that I only date Jewish guys. That's a lie. I date a lot of non-Jews, and really have no problem with it. Ultimately, I'd like to meet a really nice Jewish boy, but for now, while I'm just having fun... I'm not going to be so picky. But I did chose Jdate for a reason...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...I think the "only dating Jews" excuse works well. But this dude seems like he's living on another planet, so that still might not work on him. He might be like "Well I AM Jewish!" hahaha! RUN AWAYYYYYY...RUN AWAAAAAYYYYYY! ;o)

Brooke said...

What a FREAK! That is too funny, thank God for the pre-date phone call!

I am a friend of Debbie and Patrick's, Debbie was over last night and she showed me your blog, if it's ok I am going to link it to mine so my readers can check it out if they want :)