Tuesday, April 01, 2008

7 week itch

It's the 7th week of dating Mr. Perfect, and I'm starting to get a little itchy. Ok, that sounds like I've contracted something that I should see my doctor for... but really, itchy is the best word I can think of. I'm not antsy in the relationship, but just starting to feel like I need to be more independent and spend less time with Mr. Perfect. In the past few weeks we've spent entire weekends together, with very little interaction with other people. I've gotten behind on work, and gym time, and socializing outside of this relationship. I know that I'm just as guilty of wanting to spend as much time together as he is, but I've had this problem once before.

I once dated a guy at length who had virtually no friends, and did not have a group of people that he spent time with. In return, all social time was spent with my friends, but I was left feeling extremely guilty anytime that I wanted to go out on a Friday or Saturday night without him. Mr. Perfect has a select few friends, one of whom I've met, but not a group that he really socializes with independently. It's not a problem yet, but I feel like it's something that may eventually come up.

Also, lately I've been on the slightly crazy side of the spectrum. Blame it on whatever you want, but I've been ridiculously emotional lately. Today I found out the wheels I bought for my new car don't fit, and I'm going to have to buy a whole new set of wheels. I have no idea about anything to do with tires and wheels, and I was really hoping that Mr. Perfect would volunteer to come help me figure it all out. He didn't, and worse yet, didn't call me when he knew I was upset/frustrated about the situation. I would have really appreciated him calling me, just to see if I was ok, and when I eventually called him, he was less sympathetic than I would have liked. This made me even more upset than I already was, and I don't think he handles the emotional side of me very well. This also makes me itchy and start to wonder if maybe 7 weeks is long enough.

We're maybe going to have dinner tomorrow, and I think the emotional tidal wave I'm riding may come crashing down all over him. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he has a clue what's coming.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

No no no..it's the 7 YEAR itch...you've got it all wrong! Maybe your emotions are just getting the best of you. Give yourself some time away from him to cool off a bit.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Logan said...

Failure

fail·ure
–noun
1. an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful; lack of success: His effort ended in failure. The campaign was a failure.
2. nonperformance of something due, required, or expected: a failure to do what one has promised; a failure to appear.
3. a subnormal quantity or quality; an insufficiency: the failure of crops.
4. deterioration or decay, esp. of vigor, strength, etc.: The failure of her health made retirement necessary.
5. a condition of being bankrupt by reason of insolvency.
6. a becoming insolvent or bankrupt: the failure of a bank.
7. a person or thing that proves unsuccessful: He is a failure in his career. The cake is a failure.
8. TV Digital's comment on i3rooklyngirl's Diary of a Dating Disaster Blog, "7 Week itch"

[Origin: 1635–45; fail + -ure; r. failer a (de)fault < AF (n. use of inf.), for OF faillir]

Anonymous said...

I think this must be an April Fool's post :)

Searching for THE ONE said...

Well it coudl be the whole other end of the specturm where all he wants to do is hang with his friends, and never has time for you. I've been there. It sucks!

Check out my blog
http://myonlinedatingdiaries.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

When I was dating I would get the 8 week itch. I'm not sure why but only two girlfriends ever made it past the dreaded 8th week and I married one of them.

Pat