Monday, April 28, 2008

The Little Things

So, I know I said I was taking a break... but I posted this elsewhere over the weekend, and as it is relevant to my relationship, I'll post it here for those of you who still check. I guess that's how it will go for now, if I post something about my relationship with Mr. Perfect in another place, and it's relevant to here... I'll post it. I don't know how often that will be, and it may be edited for content - but it's something.

How much do the little things in life matter?

I was out tonight with Mr. Perfect and some friends, and it was a good time. He seemed to be really enjoying himself and didn't have any trouble making conversation with either of my friends. He has been with out with them twice before, so maybe the third time is the charm? I could tell he was having a really good time, but I was really tired. I wasn't as into the conversations as the rest of them were and really I just wanted to go home and go to sleep. We've spent every day this week together since Tuesday, and I slept at his place every night except Thursday. Tomorrow will be the first day in 5 that I won't see him. There has been a lot going on and I'm really glad that he's been a part of it, but tomorrow is my best friend's bridal shower, so there is a lot to be done. We were driving home from the the outing, and a song I really like but don't hear that often came on the radio. I was singing along to it, not loudly, but audibly. Out of nowhere, Mr. Perfect changes the radio station in the middle of the song. I was slightly hurt, but thought maybe he didn't realize that I liked it. I said to him, hey I really liked that song. And his response? "Yeah, I could tell." but kept it on the other station. I was stinging at that point from that response, so when he reached over to hold my hand, I didn't offer it. He could tell I was upset, but didn't turn the radio station back until the song he wanted to listen to was over. I'm not trying to pick a fight with him over the fact that he changed the radio station, in his own car, but it made me start wondering if this could be a small indication on how he will be on other matters. He deliberately changed something that I was enjoying for something that he could enjoy more, with no thought for me at all. Yes, it's small, and if I really wanted to listen to the song, I could go download it in my own time... but that's not really the point. The point is how this could translate into larger matters... like, tv shows, movie choices, possible dinner selections? :) I'm trying to be light hearted, because after the fact, I realize it's pretty trivial.

He text messaged me not long after he got home, and said he was worried I was mad about the radio thing which means he noticed. And I just called him and talked to him about it, and all is worked out.... but it's still the littlest things that make all the difference. It's hard being in a relationship with someone, it's hard to get used to new nuances and quirks, the way someone else's habits clash with your own. It's something I'm learning, after a long time of just doing my own thing, and realizing that as I'm 5 years older than I was in my last long term serious relationship, it's a lot harder to adapt to someone else.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm glad he noticed that you were upset...that's a really big deal. Most guys aren't that observant!