Saturday, February 24, 2007

Distraction

I am supposed to be writing a paper for grad school tonight. It is due on Tuesday, and I've barely started. I don't want to have to take a day off right after a week of vacation because I haven't finished it... So it would be in my best interest to be working on this paper all day today and tomorrow - which was my full intention.

The day started off not very productive though. I slept until almost noon, which is completely out of character for me. I had been up kind of late the night before, but not late enough to really warrant sleeping until the afternoon. As soon as I got up, I was planning on getting started with no distractions. I am having a complete block though when it comes to writing this paper, and around 4, I decided to start cleaning up the living room because my roommate was having friends over tonight and the place was a bit of a mess. Not 10 minutes after I start cleaning, my phone rings, and it's the acupuncturist. He had some Chinese New Year's celebration thing that he was doing in Chinatown today, and was only a few stops away on the F. He asked if I wanted to get together for a little bit, and being the procrastinator that I am, of course I decided to go. I shoved the rest of the mess that was out in the living room into my bedroom (not that you can tell the difference - my bedroom looks like my closets threw up all over my room.) I rushed to shower and get dress, and went to meet the acupuncturist around 4:30. We walked down to the tea lounge, but it was very crowded and there were no seats. So we tried a little further down at Sweet Melissa's... again, very crowded and no seats. We walked up Court St, and he wanted to stop into the middle eastern music store, which was fine. Everything though was in Arabic and I couldn't read or understand a thing. We decided to continue walking up Court to Montague St. to try to find a cafe there that was a little less crowded. Since the acupuncturist had been on his feet all day, he really was itching to find a place to sit. We managed to get a table at a nice cafe on Montague, and we sat and talked. I must have been stressing about the paper, because I was finding it hard to focus on the conversation, and I must have seemed distracted to him. I am not usually at a loss for things to talk about with the acupuncturist, and usually we have no trouble making conversation. Tonight however was not like that. After we left the coffee shop, we walked briefly (and without any conversation) over to the promenade, but I was cold and antsy to get home. He offered to walk me back to Bergen St. which was nice, but I was kind of tired of walking in silence. He probably would have been offended though if I had said, no thanks - I can walk by myself... So we walked back, most of the way in silence, or him talking and me barely paying attention - my mind was in a million different places. I felt bad - but I just wasn't in the dating mindset. We parted at the subway stop, he kissed me goodbye, and that was it. I feel kind of lousy with how I was acting on the date. Lately in general I've been having a hard time focusing on anything, and it's kind of starting to freak me out. Adult ADD? Or maybe I've just spread myself too thin amongst too many people and there is too much going on for me to focus on just one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too many dates causes Erica to be silent? Hmm...I think I get more boisterous when I have too many dates ;o) teehee!