Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Indian Summer

It's like August all over again. Not heat wise, but dating wise. Although there have been no double headers, or 6 dates in one week... But for a work week, this is getting pretty hectic.

I had date numero 2 with the tall, red-headed guy from last week's rain date tonight. I was surprised actually, because we did not have a date planned, and I actually didn't know when he was getting back from being away. Apparently, he got back from his trip this afternoon at 3 and called me to go out at 6. I like not having to wonder.

So we met up around 7 at the subway station by my apartment. I was worried about the greeting, because we had that awkward exchange last time, he went for the handshake, I went for the hug... So he gave me a hug, and it was not completely awkward, but still, yeah, a little bit. We walked all the way down Smith until the restaurants and bars are no longer bountiful, and then back up again, a much nicer night for a walk than last time. It was a tad bit windy, and the air was definitely colder than I would like, but hey, it's Autumn, and I like that. We ended up at a small Indian/Pakistani place on Court St. It was a fine choice, but I was keenly aware when we sat down that we were THE only white people eating there. Now, spending my days in Bed-Stuy, I'm often the only white person in a place, but in a restaurant for some reason I am much more aware of it. The food however was very good. It was a quieter place to eat than last time, and he actually made a comment about that. When we were trying to decide where to get dinner, he said something along the lines of somewhere quieter than last time. I knew that was a mistake... Joya is not a good place to go on first dates. But the very quiet atmosphere was much more enjoyable for conversation. And we talked again about super geeky/pseudo smart topics. I am not sure that I am smart enough for this guy, but he doesn't seem to mind. At least not yet. And he seemed to really enjoy hearing me talk about my students, which was nice, because sometimes it's nice to have a captive audience when I need to vent. He was amused by all the things my students say, which is good, because honestly I forget how amusing they can be. I spend more time being astounded at their pure stupidity. But, he was a very good ear to bend on the topic of my students.

After dinner, it was still cold and windy, so we walked back to the train. I couldn't tell if he was going to kiss me or not, and I wasn't going to go in for it myself... While we were walking he asked me if I was cold and when I said that I was, he put his arm through mine, which I thought was nice. Our first attempt at non-awkward physical interaction. It was still kind of awkward, because I had my bag on that arm, and then it kind of slipped a little.. and so I'm trying to figure out how to fix it without either pulling my arm out of his, or making it seem like I didn't want to be touching him. I managed when we stopped at a light before crossing the street. We reach the subway station, and were saying our goodbyes... and he kissed me. It was really nice. I have some issues with making out in front of subway stations because it's awkward for anyone that needs to enter the subway. So, it was brief, but long enough that we both know that there will be another date to see where this goes.

I do have a date tomorrow night with a different guy. It really is like the summer all over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Should I start my Jewish Star Rating System again? haha! Though slightly awkward encounters, I like this one. He treats you like you deserve to be treated, and you don't have to sit by the phone, waiting for his call. This one gets 4 Jewish Stars out of 5!!! Can't wait to hear about tonight's date ;o)