Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Speed Dating.

I am going to try to keep this blog as short as this date was (Thanks, Deb!), but I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea...

Ok, so it was my first foray back into the dating world after Google. Am I over Google yet? Not completely. Did this date help, 100x, yes!! I had some reservations, yes... but I was definitely interested in getting back in the game again. So my biggest reservation was this guy's age. If you remember back when I started this blog, at a mere 25 years old, I was VERY age conscious. If a guy was just 6 months younger than me, I had reservations. So here I am tonight, going on a date with a guy who is not just a few months younger, but a few years younger. He is only 25 years old. Age is just a number, I know, and I shouldn't let it bother me. I mean, I didn't do very well dating someone who was 35, so maybe I need to go younger - much much younger! It's weird, I've been getting a lot of younger guy attention. The 3 guys I've been talking to are all younger - 25, 26, & 28. Maybe I've been dating at the wrong end of this pool.

Anyway, back to the shortest (good) date of history. I remember posting once upon a time that any date that clocked in at under 3 hours normally didn't warrant a second date. This one was just under an hour and a half, seriously. SHORT. But it wasn't bad. We met up at the Artful Dodger in Old City, I wasn't sure if it was going to be dinner or drinks. I hadn't planned on anything. I wasn't super looking forward to it, but I was going because I knew I had to. We had a couple of good emails, and he fits my type, with the exception of the age. I showed up on the date a little late, there was an insane amount of rush hour traffic getting over the bridge, but I made it only 10 minutes late or so, and he had texted me before hand, apologizing for sending me into the throws of Philly rush hour. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw him, he was cuter than I thought from his pictures, and taller than I thought too, both were good signs. He had been at the bar, and I was going to just join him there, but he suggested we get a table.

We ate, had some beers, and talked throughout the entire dinner. It was basically empty in the restaurant, and dinner was very quick. I also ate a salad that was very onion-y, which might have been a bad move on my part. We talked a lot, about a lot of different things, but it was weird too. I wasn't completely ready for the date, mentally, but I laughed a lot, and the conversation was easy to come by, I think. So after dinner, he paid (I offered, I feel especially since he's younger - I should pay!) and we went outside. Apparently, it was raining, but it was barely noticeable. We started walking up 2nd street, I didn't know where we were going. At one point, he turned to me and asked where my car was. Oh. My car. It was a few blocks back from where we just walked past. I was surprised that the date was ending quite so soon. It seemed to be going really well, and then we were walking to my car. I was very confused! Maybe the younger kids do this dating thing differently.

So I was assuming this wasn't going so well for him, and then he says, So we should really do this again sometimes. And starts saying how he'll take the train over to Jersey, since he doesn't have a car. I was kind of taken aback. Part of me wanted to say if you want to do this again, why not just continue the date now? But maybe an hour and a half is his dating limit. Maybe it's better to not rush things, there's no need for marathon dates. He could turn out to be very fun, or he could not really be interested in a second date after all, and just said that. I would go out with him again, but I'm just glad that I had a good date, and who knows, 25 might be the new 35. :)

Oh dating game, it's good to be back.

2 comments:

Logan said...

I got a friend who's our age, his wife is 40, maybe 41 now. On the other end, I got another friend who's also our age, and he's dating a 19yr old. So, yeah, age differences is certainly a personal preference type of thing.

Debbie said...

Though quick, I'm glad it was a GOOD date :-)