Thursday, December 17, 2009

Cold Hearted

Today was going to be a great day. But then again, the best laid plans... Everything started off going as well as planned, a fairly simple day at work, good workout right after, came home, showered... noticed that it was unusually cold in my house. At first I just thought it was upstairs, which tends to be a little colder when the heat has been off all day. But when I got downstairs, I noticed that the thermostat read a chilly 58 degrees in my house. So, I had two options... I could cancel tonight's date, and get my heater fixed (note: I think MOST people would choose this option) or I could leave my freezing house, hope that when I return it will have magically fixed itself, and go on my date as planned. I chose option B.

I was excited about this date. In fact, I had actually rescheduled a date that had been planned for tonight prior to setting this one up (broken heater = karma for broken date??) I thought we had a pretty good connection through email, we had talked on the phone a few times, and I was really looking forward to this date. I was not going to let a cold house get in the way of what could've been a great first date.

We met up at the Mexican Food Factory, which is a good date place. I went there on my marathon length 5th date with the bad kisser, which may be the last time I had been there prior to tonight. I like it for a few reasons - mainly good food, great beer selection, and a very laid back atmosphere.

We had a nice dinner, I don't remember much about the conversation. It wasn't particularly engaging or overly stimulating. It was average. I didn't feel like I had to work very hard for it, but at the same time, I don't know that I laughed a whole lot... or felt challenged in the conversation either. He has a very cool job. He develops software for Google, which impresses me. Some people are impressed by money, fancy things.... I'm impressed by software developers at Google. I am a geek. We talked about our jobs for a while, we talked about food - which he seems to be adventurous with, another plus. Before getting into software development, he mentioned that he wanted to be a photojournalist. I tried to contain my excitement, I KNEW I would like this one! Geeky photographer - on paper, that's exactly what I want! We talked for a while, and once dinner was over, we headed over to Barnes & Noble. We wandered slightly aimlessly around the bookstore for an hour or so, talking about books and such... another plus. I couldn't get a vibe though from him. I don't know if it was the setting or nerves, but it wasn't a really good place to actually get to know someone better, which isn't what I find to usually be the case. I think talking to people about their reading choices, or finding fun books to share can be an excellent way to get to know someone. But I felt like I was just scraping the surface here, not getting anything really deep.

At the end of the night, he walked me to my car, kissed me goodnight (just a quick kiss - nothing remarkable!) and we left it as, we should do this again sometime. I'm pretty sure I'll hear from him, which is good. I'd probably go out with him again. I was a little let down since I had such high hopes for him, but it wasn't a bad date. And he has a lot of good things that I'm looking for, so why write him off so soon?

My dating line-up is still pretty full. I'm possibly seeing the guy who I canceled on tonight, on Sunday. I don't know about him. We talked on the phone two times, and his voice just doesn't match up with what he looks like... I know that's a really strange thing to say, but it's a weird thing to witness. Also, we don't gel well on the phone. He says things that I almost have to restrain myself from saying something mean. He will be known, if need be, as Captain Obvious. There are two other guys I'm talking to of the original 8, and the Phillies writer texted me today to set up a second date. This makes 5 out of the 8 originals that will probably turn into dates. I did end up cutting the one for distance. Lancaster is too far. The good Jew I was looking forward to I never heard from again, and the other match guy disappeared again too. This is the 2nd time he's disappeared, I'm not interested in him that much to care.

In much better news, I did get my heat fixed. It was not miraculously working when I came home, so I called my heating company, and they came out at 11:30 to fix it! So it's warm in my house, even it's still kind of chilly in my heart.

2 comments:

Logan said...

I'd have chosen Plan B too.

Debbie said...

Haha...ok the funny thing is that I keep my heat at 59...when it's really cold, my heat is at 63...but that's the highest I go! So, your broken heat is like my regular heat!