Saturday, August 01, 2009

Surely, You Can't Be Serious...

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley. :)

So, the end of last night's date included watching Airplane! (for those of you who didn't catch the reference above...), but more on that later.

Last night I had my second date with the guy from last weekend (the 6-hour date guy), and we had been talking/texting all week long. Things have been moving along smoothly, and we both seemed to be enjoying the natural progression of the relationship. We had planned to meet up at his place around 5, drive down to Downingtown, and go to the Victory Brewery for drinks and dinner. He lives about 45 minutes away, without traffic, and on a Friday at rush hour - it was no easy feat getting there. And the weather decided to monsoon as soon as I was ready to leave... no joke, flooded roads, trees knocked over... It just added insult to injury. I ended up getting to his place around 6, which turned out to be alright because he had been stuck in a lot of traffic getting home from work as well, so earlier would not have been better.

We drove out in his car to the brewery, and things were going along smoothly. I was trying to explain something, I don't remember what... It was my idea or opinion on something (because I have so few of those!!), and he said something like, "I'm picking up what you're putting down." Um, ok? I was a little confused because it wasn't really the smoothest delivery of that line, but I could tell he was trying to use it that way. It made me laugh and while we were driving I thought to myself, THAT is going to be the title of the blog. It's never a good sign when you're thinking about the blog while on the date...

And so it goes, the date continued on once we arrived at the brewery. I bought the first round of drinks. I had lost the bet as to who could read the most of Atlas Shrugged before the date, so drinks were on me (thankfully not dinner too!). We're standing near the bar, waiting for our table, when he says to me, "Do you see that guy over there with the red shorts on?" And it's a good thing I didn't respond with something like, "Um, yeah, fashion faux-pas!" Because he then follows it up with, "That's my brother, and his wife." Oh. Great. Nothing like meeting the fam on the SECOND date. So, of course, my first question is - Did you plan that?? And he was adamant that they had no idea that he was here, let alone on a date. I don't think this guy told his family that he's on Match, he seemed very nervous that the question of how we met might come up... That's already an issue for me. Seriously, people. It's 2009. People meet people on the internet. I'm going to a wedding in 2 weeks for my friend who met his wife on Craigslist. So seriously, we all just need to get over it! Anyway, they don't even notice us at first. His sister-in-law comes and stands almost directly behind us, but his back is to her and she's facing away from him too, so she didn't notice. But when his brother walks over with the drinks, he of course notices his brother standing not 3 feet away from his wife. And so begins an awkward conversation of about 15 minutes. Thankfully they didn't ask how we met, so he was safe on this one. Our table was called, we ate dinner, talked, laughed, and things are back to being good. I'm feeling good about the date, I've had a few beers, life was swell.

After dinner we decided to go mini-golfing (my 3 date rule - 2nd date HAS to involve an activity or something fun that is not dinner/movie!). He golfs semi-regularly, so he was pretty confident that he would kick my ass on this one. I had a few too many beers at dinner (um, 2?? when did I get to be such a lightweight) and kept hitting the ball into the water, off the course, one time missing completely. It was a fun game, we had to stop frequently because there were 2 couples playing ahead of us who were playing more along my golfing level. Everytime we had to stop, he would put his arm around me, and rub my back. I could tell he wanted to kiss me there, but I was not about to have the first kiss on a mini-golf course with 2 other couples around. It's a good thing I waited, I think. I don't know what the final score was, we finished the game, and went back to his place, where my car was parked. He asked if I was going to get going or if I wanted to come up. It was fairly early at that point, so I decided to go up. At that point, the date had been going so well, I couldn't see any reason to not go. So, he took me to his apartment, showed me around, and the inevitable, first kiss occurred. Oh how I wish it hadn't. Not only was this guy not a good kisser, but he was using his teeth somehow. I couldn't figure it out, it was TERRIBLE. I wanted to run out of his apartment screaming, but I had just said that it wasn't that late, how was I going to avoid making out with him and not leave? We had been having movie quoting banter all night, and one of them included Airplane!, which was available on demand, so we watched that. I fell asleep sometime in the middle, and the next thing I know, the movie's over and he's trying to maul my face again. I really want to believe that good kissing is something that can be learned, and that I should give him a chance to prove otherwise. I tried pulling back everytime his teeth came out (maybe he's a vampire??) and at one point even jokingly asked if he was trying to bite off my lip. But nothing worked. I finally left close to 2am, and still had a 45 minute drive ahead of me. He mentioned the next time we hang out, it will be on my turf, but I'm not so sure there will be a next time. He didn't call/text to see if I got home OK, and I'm really surprised that I didn't hear from him at all today. Maybe he thinks I was a bad kisser, and is debating the same thing I am.

I've dated bad kissers before (you all remember the fish-kisser!), but at 31, shouldn't these things be fixed? If it's the only problem in a relationship, is it a deal-breaker?? I think the combination of bad kissing, the long distance, and him not even checking to see if I made it home OK last night is the trifecta deal-breaker. It was a fun 2-date run, but at least now I know.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

First of all, I LOVE the title...any Airplane reference is GREAT!

Second, I am 100% with you on this one. Bad kissing can completely ruin the attraction! It stinks that he seemed like a great guy, but if he's a bad kisser, buh-bye! I like how you even gave him "joking" hints and he STILL didn't get it!!! WTF?!