Sunday, July 30, 2006

Double Header

In my months of dating prior, I have done many things that I hadn't done before. The most recent new occurrence is having 2 dates in 1 day. My time has been crowded lately, which is strange because for the first few weeks I was home from Peru, I did virtually nothing. But my dating schedule is full, so in order to make the best use of my time I planned a double header date for last Thursday. Both of them were Jdate boys, and I was looking forward to both of them, but the second one I was convinced would be the best date I would have on jdate. I somehow convinced myself through IM conversations and emails that I had more in common with this guy than maybe I should have... but I digress...

Date #1 - Number 1 called me an hour before planned and told me that his plans had fallen through for the rest of the afternoon, and could I come and meet him earlier than planned? This was a good sign. I had planned the other date for later that evening, but at an unknown time because I didn't know when date 1 would end. We met at the subway stop and walked to a bar in the Village. We had beers and talked, and I noticed that number 1 was moving closer and closer to me. And then he moved in, and started kissing me at the bar. Apparently, I've become that girl that kisses guys at bars, in public, in broad daylight. But he was a good kisser, and I had 2 beers... I was not all that concerned. After much making out in the bar, and on the street, and in the subway, we ended up back at my apartment, where not much more happened.. because I'm not that type of girl. But it was enough that it needed to be removed from the bar. He had to go help a friend at 10, and I was getting quite desperate for him to leave so I could prepare for date 2. It was thundering and lightning pretty bad, and it was going to start pouring at any moment. I offered to lend him an umbrella, to which he replied, Nah, because then I'd have to give it back to you. Wow. That's honest. I never had a more direct, I don't thin I want to see you again statement on a date. Although after he left, he called about 10 minutes later, after realizing we hadn't eaten any dinner or anything on the date, and wanted to know if I wanted to get dinner. I thought that was really sweet, but after that umbrella comment, I decided against it. Besides, I was in full preparation mode for Date #2.

Date #2 - After a small bug scare and my roommate forcing me to eat a real meal, I was ready for number 2. I was so convinced that this guy was going to be it. We had so much in common, had really good conversations, I should have known... Never get my hopes up... nothing is more disappointing than going into a date with such high expectations. I tried to meet him at the bar on the corner, but he vetoed that... I should have insisted. But I was so certain that he was going to be a good date, I allowed something that I have only done once before - ever, I met him at my apartment. Now, I hope my roommate doesn't read this, she may very well kill me... or just be thankful that she is moving out in a month, because I kind of hinted that it wasn't our first date. I didn't want her to freak out. She would have had every right. It was stupid and really not safe, and though he turned out to be normal, it was a really dumb move on my part. I need more common sense when it comes to dating, and really need to not trust people so freely. Anyway, number 2 came over. He was shorter than I imagined, but on jdate, you have to get used to dating guys on the shorter side. But other than that, so far so good. He came up to my apartment, and his mannerisms and behavior strongly reminded me of this guy I dated last year who was severely depressed and we refer to him as the "crier" (if I have a dating dry spell - I will post the story of the crier.. just for giggles). I do not need another crier in my life, but I couldn't place what it was about this guy that reminded me so severely of the crier. We sat in my living room for a while, talking. Number 2 is an aspiring chef in culinary school, which is definitely part of his initial appeal, and he talked for a while about restaurants he hoped to work in when he came back for his extern in a few weeks. We moved the conversation to the bedroom because I have air conditioning in my bedroom, and it was unbearably hot in the living room, even with both the fans on. Mistake. Guys see bedroom, they think they are going to get laid. Unfortunately for this guy, he didn't know what he was up against. I knew there was no chance that was going to happen. We made out for a bit - which means... yes, I made out with 2 different guys in less than 3 hours. Not proud of it, but hey... He stayed for a while and we talked... but I don't think it's going to work.

So as we're talking, he asks me, Just wondering... how would one get from here to say The Restaurant? (anonymity.. fill in the name of the restaurant he got a job offer for) After I tell him, and ask him why he wants to know.. he responded, well you know, I have the tendency to project a bit. Um. Ok. but he's planning his commute from my apartment for 6 weeks from now? He is still in culinary school and will be away for the next 6 weeks for a class. His externship starts in 6 weeks. Well, that's more than I've gotten on a first date. He mentions that he'll be in the city next weekend for a street fair, and would I want to see him again? He then says, I can stay here. And when I say, um, you mean here as in... my apartment? I am really thinking, there is no way this guy I just met is inviting himself to my apartment for the entire weekend, right... I don't think my last boyfriend ever stayed over for the entire weekend. So I said, well I think it may be a little too soon for that. He was ok with that response, even though he tried to convince me that he'd be really busy and I wouldn't see him much anyway. So.. why would I want him to stay?

He leaves not much later, and I have this weird unsettled feeling that this guy now thinks of himself as my boyfriend. Number 2 IMed me the next day, and we've talked on IM at least once everyday since then. But there has been no mention of seeing him again, or the upcoming weekend. I wonder how I will manage to dodge that one. Number 1 actually called me the next day as well while I was driving home to my parents' house for the weekend. I was surprised to hear from him so soon, I guess I misread the umbrella comment. We talked online once since then as well. He wants to get together this week, but it's not looking good for number 1. He was nice enough, and we had a good time, but I don't know that we'll be able to connect scheduling wise again.

For all you faithful readers out there, be prepared... I have 5 dates coming up this week. 5 dates in 5 days, although one day has another double header planned. However, I am getting tired of the serial dating, and would like to meet one person to date. There are a few good potentials that I'm looking forward to, and some that I know will provide a great story, and maybe one will be both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a treat! A new blog for me to read on my Monday morning..woohoo :o) Thanks Er! Be careful of #2...he sounds like your new "subway stalker"!