Monday, October 08, 2007

Deja Vu

I've been on this date before. Well maybe not really, but I've definitely been in this position before. Here's how it all started...
My mom met his mom down the shore. His mom started talking to my mom, they both discovered that they had children of the same age, who were both single (or so they both said), living in the same area. They decided we should meet. My mom came home from the shore and insisted that I look him up on Myspace. I did, and his profile clearly states that he's in a relationship. Ok, well nevermind. I forgot all about this, until my mom brought him up again a few weeks later, telling me that she talked to his mother and he's not in fact really in a relationship. She says that I should really email him... ok, fine. So I send a weird email to him, because really what can you say when it clearly states on his page that he's in a relationship? I put some stuff out there about having recently moved back home, blah blah blah. It was a strained, awkward attempt at an introduction.

He emails me back and sort of explains that his relationship is in transition, and definitely open, and he's available to meet new people. I'm not sure really what any of this means, but I think he's cute based on his pictures, we seem to have some similar interests, and that's enough for me to at least go on one date with the guy. He called me on Wednesday night of this past week, and we talked for about an hour. I was definitely looking forward to tonight's date, despite the fact that there was a possibility that he might still be involved in a relationship.

We met up at his apartment in Center City. I know, not a smart move on my part, but we only met there because he has a driveway, which is killer for the city. I didn't go into his place, just purely used it for the driveway. The first thing I thought when I saw him was that he was definitely cuter than his picture. Not a bad start. We walked over the South Street, and ate dinner outdoors. It's nice to be able to eat outside in October, but to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of the heat and am ready for some cool autumnal weather. The conversation was good throughout, and there are little nuances he has that reminds me completely of D (mainly he has a Wii and an ex (or non-ex in this case) still in the picture). We sat and talked for a good while, and the conversation ran smoothly. A good date, for sure. But there's still this feeling of is this guy single or interested or anything, hanging over my head.

After dinner we walk back to his place (of course we do, my car is there!). He asks me if I want to come in and see his place. Hmm, this might get interesting - I think. But really, all he does is show me around his apartment, barely. And then takes me on a short tour of the church that is attached to his apartment. It's totally torn out on the inside, being renovated. And he has the whole living quarters plus church all to himself. Add the factor of the driveway onto that equation and it's a pretty sweet set-up. So we hang out in the church for a while, and talk at the bottom of the stairs... and finally, the girlfriend comes up. I definitely brought this up... somehow. He mentioned a girl or something, and I said something to the effect of "oh is that the girl you're kind of in a relationship with?" He responds in the affirmative. And there is a bit of awkward explaining as to why they are not together, mostly it has to do with the fact that she moved to Nova Scotia, and he did not.

We parted well, an awkward hug which I laughed off saying something to the effect of how these things are always weird. Then he walked me out, gave me a kiss on the lips, and we agreed to another date possibly this coming weekend.

So, this leaves me in a similar position as I've been in before. Do I want to get invested in a guy who is clearly still involved elsewhere? I am going to see him again, so I guess I will play it as it comes. I don't ever like playing second best, but we'll see how it goes.

As far as the first set up ever by my mom, not so bad. I'd definitely let her set me again.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

HAHAHA..you just wanted an excuse to use the word "autumnal"! HAHA! As for this new guy...as I told you on the phone, it makes me a bit nervous. I feel like you may always play second fiddle to Nova Scotia chick...plus, he will always wonder "what if..." about his ex, since they didn't have a nice, clean break. Then what happens the day he goes to visit her in Nova Scotia b/c they're "just friends"? That will be awkward and create BIG jealousy issues. I don't know...if he wasn't attached, I'd be a lot more comfortable with him.

Logan said...

I wish I had a driveway.