Sunday, May 27, 2007

One Year

Today marks one year since I started the blog, just out of a 5 month relationship (not too much longer than the one I'm just getting out now...) and ready to meet new people. Well, I did just that. This year has brought out the best in me and maybe a little bit of the worst. But no one can say I didn't make the most of my time in New York! Maybe just for fun, I'll have the Israeli wear some make-up tomorrow, we'll go up to Central Park, and he can make racially inappropriate comments as we walk down Broadway. It can be an annual thing. I actually did take him to my friend's bar on Saturday night, which is where the atrocious make-up date ended, and that would have been one year exactly from that date. I have to say though that I think my friend approved more of the Israeli than she did of the make-up wearing racist.

So, I've been hesitant to post about my final weekend with the Israeli, because I really am sad about it. As much as you know that someone is not going to be around and you plan for their departure, it still doesn't stop the sadness from creeping up on you out of nowhere.

We spent the day together yesterday, and we will do the same tomorrow. Yesterday was good fun. He called me in the morning around 10, which surprised me because the Israeli is very rarely up before noon on a non-working day. I was actually still in bed recovering from the night before, but not really sleeping. His brother had just left and he called me right away. He was going to go pick up his glasses and then wanted to come over to my place. I went to the gym and by the time I got back, he was waiting outside my apartment (or rather loitering on the next door neighbor's stoop - times like these would be nice to have a stoop, although my crazy landlord would never let anyone sit on it - it'd probably be alarmed and such). He came up to the apartment, and we chatted with my roommate for a bit as she was getting ready to go for a run. After she left and I showered, we ended up spending a majority of the day in bed. He was really tired from having not slept the night before, and we napped on and off for about 3 and a half hours.

After we got up, we went to Joya for dinner. In the 4 months I have been dating the Israeli it was the first time we had gone to Thai food - and not even my neighborhood Thai place where they know me. It was good, we got to sit outside, and went early enough that there was no wait and it was not crowded at all. After dinner, we went into Manhattan to visit my friend who was bartending. Since she's been hearing about the Israeli first hand since our very first date, I didn't think it would be fair if she didn't get to meet him. I'm pretty sure she liked him well enough, as I think most of my friends have. We stayed for an hour or so, and he was trying very hard not to fall asleep at the bar. We went back to Brooklyn, I picked up my laundry from my apartment and then drove us over to his place (his apartment = free laundry). I did my laundry, and he was trying to set up some arrangements for his travels over the next few months. He is flying out on Tuesday to California where he will meet up with his brother. They are traveling along the west coast for a few weeks, then his brother goes back to Israel, and the Israeli will travel to South America - Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil. Then he comes back to North America and will spend time in Canada, and then taking the train cross-country from Seattle back to New York. He will be here for 3 days in August... I've already told him he can stay here (that is my sadness talking when I say that - and then I remember how much he irritates me sometimes!). Anyway, back to last night, I ended up falling asleep while doing my laundry/reading a book. He finished my laundry for me, which I thought was really sweet, and then came to bed a few hours later. For someone who was so tired when we were out, he found plenty of energy when he got home.

In the morning, we got up relatively early because the Israeli was going hiking today with some of the students from his work. I got to meet 2 of them, which marks the only 2 people I have met that the Israeli has introduced me to. I was supposed to go over tonight, but my parents and brother came up to the city to see a show, and I got back later than I thought I would. I called the Israeli on my way home, and he wasn't back from hiking yet anyway. So tomorrow morning we'll meet up instead. I can use a little rest, and some time to gather my thoughts on how this will all end. One day left until the Israeli dating stories will end (that is until August possibly....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...so sad :o( Enjoy your day with the Israeli today! He really wasn't so bad after all ;o)

Anonymous said...

i haven't read this in a while but sounds like an intense couple of months. i know a good way enjoy the rest of the summer though. match.com! its the bomb!