Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Interupting Bartender

A date with someone new! It's been so long... and I was feeling anxious with the Israeli leaving so soon. So, I have a few dates in the works, and one that happened last night. I posted an ad on craigslist, and this guy really caught my interest. He wrote a spectacular and unique email, which was so much better than the rest of the emails I got. He was the only one I responded to. We exchanged only 2 emails or so, and decided to meet for a drink last night. I didn't know much about him except that he had a foreign sounding name. I was a little nervous leading up to the date, probably because I've been out of practice for over 3 months.

The date started out fine, we had an awkward encounter as I approached the bar. He was outside smoking a cigarette, which in my opinion is an obvious strike. But I can forgive someone of that if they have enough to offer.

We went into the bar, had a drink, and talked for a while about a lot of things. Books, jobs, where he is from (India), and so forth. It was all going well, until the bartender came over and was like, "Dude, is that your bike (a motorcycle) out there?" My date replied that it was in fact his, and that's where I thought that conversation would end, with maybe a little more detail about the bike given or something, but no... the bartender proceeds to tell us how he used to have a motor-bike when he lived in St. Thomas, and how much fun it was to ride... blah blah blah. He went on for quite a while. After the first interruption, we went back to normal dating conversation. The date was going pretty well, and I was hoping to get to talk more to my date, and not so much the bartender. No such luck. Not long after the first interruption, came another. This time about nothing that was even related to myself or my date. He was just looking to talk to someone, and lucky for us, the bar was relatively empty, so we were his only option for conversation. But I was pretty sure it was apparent that we were on a date. The bartender's girlfriend showed up, and I thought we were in the clear. But no, he introduces us to her, she proceeds to take out a book and read it at the bar, and he keeps on chatting away. At this point, we've had 2 drinks and 3 hours have passed, and I'm pretty ready to get home. What had started out as a good date, was slowly ruined by a bartender who was lonely for some conversation.

All in all, I don't know that I will hear from him again. It was a good date, but I'm pretty sure that this guy is looking for something a little more serious, and I'm looking more to just have fun at this point. He's a good 6 years older than me, and I think looking more along the lines of a wife. (Although I do know that he already has his green card, so at least I know he's not looking for that.) Oh well, he was a nice guy. Cute too. It's a shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY a blog! I've been waiting and checking at work every damn day! haha! Stupid bartender...I would have punched the idiot ;o)