Friday, December 22, 2006

What Cool Looks Like.

Ok, so in further consideration on names, I think D should be referred to as the Wii guy instead (but he won't, because D just is easier), since apparently, that's what everyone seems to notice (or think is cool). Not only am I out of the loop of video games, I am just out of the loop on what cool looks like in general.

One thing I do know, is what cool does NOT look like. It has everything to do with a fork...

Last night we met up at the tea lounge where D had spent some of the afternoon, just hanging out and reading (lucky bastard was off this whole week and next). I was exhausted and had a rather bad day at school that day, resulting in 5 of my students getting in-school suspension, which actually made for a fantastic last day of school before break. Anyway, I was kind of cranky and rather tired, which doesn't make for good dating. Especially after 2 really good dates previously. I had made a few suggestions for dinner, but D is apparently a much pickier eater than I had realized, and vetoed the first place we went. So on top my already bad day, the thought of having to walk around and find some place for this picky eater to eat, did not really thrill my senses. I am not very good at masking my displeasure when it comes to things like this, and he could definitely tell I was not in a good mood. So we ended up going to a very casual cafe style place not far from my apartment. D got the mac-n-cheese, a good choice in anyone's book. However, when it came time to eat said mac-n-cheese... I noticed something was a little off... Now, I'm not an etiquette snob, and I'm most certainly not a stickler for rules... but he just was holding his fork completely wrong! I laughed because on our first date, he was telling me about a conversation he had with his parents recently about how he held his fork incorrectly. I have to say I'd agree. He doesn't see anything wrong with how he holds his fork, function over form, he says. I checked with Emily Post on this one...

"As soon, therefore, as his hand is dexterous enough, the child must be taught to hold his fork, no longer gripped baby-fashion in his fist, but much as a pencil is held in writing; only the fingers are placed nearer the “top” than the “point,” the thumb and two first fingers are closed around the handle two-thirds of the way up the shank, and the food is taken up shovel-wise on the turned-up prongs. " Emily Post's The Kindergarten of Etiquette. (http://www.bartleby.com/95/35.html)

Not a big deal at all really, but it was a point of discussion for a good portion of dinner. I felt much better after eating and chatting some more. My mood had definitely improved over the course of dinner. The insecurities I had talked about in the previous post came up once over dinner, but I was steadfast with my conviction that I was not going to talk about it. He seemed to respect that, but I could tell that he was trying very hard to figure out what it was. We left the restaurant and noticed a fairly new store that has opened on Smith St. (no surprise there, new things pop up left and right in my neighborhood, and I don't notice unless it's on a direct path with something I see frequently enough.) We went into the store and browsed for a while. It was fun, and it's also interesting to see someone else's shopping persona. I am not a big fan of shopping with other people, I do my best shopping (and by best I mean spend the most time and money...) by myself. I don't usually like shopping with people, especially guys, I find they tend to get impatient and whiny really quickly, and it's not worth the hassle. But when you are dating someone, it happens, and it's good to know a person's shopping style early on I guess. D was a good shopper, didn't complain, actually seemed pretty interested in the stuff in the store (it did have a lot of cool things, so maybe it's not a good test sample. Maybe the Atlantic Terminal during holiday madness would be a better test.) But for a preliminary run, he did just fine.

After the store, I wasn't sure which way the date was going to go. We had talked about keeping it short. I had a lot to do last night for today at school, but since the date started off on slightly rocky footing, I invited him to come back to my apartment. He was a great help putting together the presents I gave to my kids (bags of pens, pencils, candy). He calculated exactly how many of each type of candy the students should get, and it was done much quicker than had I done it all on my own.

We then got to talking some more, and of course my insecurities came up again. I was really unsure if I wanted to tell him what was really bothering me, because it didn't seem like something that should be talked about on a third date. It involves an ex (his) whom I have met (not through him), and who is not completely over him, and they are still friends. It makes me feel insecure (even though he assures me that he is completely done with that and she knows that), which makes me feel a little better, but it's still there in the back of my head. I can empathize with the ex completely also... I've been that girl before. I know what it's like. But we talked, and I think we were both pretty open about it, which is a nice change. I like knowing exactly where I stand, and while I may not know EXACTLY where I stand... he does, and I think I have a pretty good idea.

So after talking and making out on the couch for a little while, it some how became past midnight. He had a long train ride ahead of him, and I had to be up extra early this morning. I am going home to my parents' house for the holiday weekend so we made plans to see each other over the following week since we are both available. Overall, the date progressed nicely, despite my cranky behavior in the beginning.

So, a break for the holidays, but there will be more to follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like making "Wii" jokes about D! "Is it a big Wii?" "Is his Wii better than others?" "It must be fun to go over to his house and play with his Wii all night long!" HAHAA