Friday, January 29, 2010

Oh Baby.

Last night was Google's birthday. It was a celebratory event as it was also his downstairs neighbor's birthday as well, so his whole house was going out to celebrate both birthdays. I was planning on sending him chocolates to his office on Thursday, but he decided to work from home instead, so I had to send him the chocolates on Wednesday instead. I was very nervous about them getting there and to him, because I'd imagine that the Google offices are huge. But, despite all the odds against me that day (there is another person who works there with the same name, who normally works in the CA office, but apparently was working in NYC this week... and got the chocolates originally!) he did get the chocolates that day (thanks, Rachel!) I did spend a good part of the day worried/stressing over whether or not he got them, since I didn't end up hearing from him until he was on his way from work. But I did hear from him, so I'm not going to stress it.

Last night, I got him a few presents that reminded me of him/our time together, and I think he was pretty appreciative of them. We hung out for a bit then headed over to Chifa for dinner with the neighbor whose birthday it also was. I had been very concerned before the date about payment, because I had no idea how his neighbors handle all this with it being 2 birthdays. Not that I minded paying for his other neighbor, but I didn't know what to expect. So I made sure I had enough cash on me, which I never do, an extra ATM stop on my way was necessary.

Google found out earlier this week that he's going to be an uncle, which is great news. Apparently all but one of his neighbors knew this news, so he decided to tell her at dinner. Instead of saying, "I'm going to be an uncle," as he told me, he says, "My mom is going to be a grandmother." Now, I had heard this news earlier, so I was paying attention, but I wasn't REALLY paying attention. I was just sitting there, sipping my sangria, gauging the reaction of his neighbor to this news. So at first I was confused as to why she wasn't immediately congratulatory, until I realized that she thought that he meant that I was pregnant. I nearly spit out my drink as soon as I realized that was what she thought as she stammered through some strange congratulatory remarks. Which were more like, "Um, wow. That's really great news..." I turned about 10 shades of red, and clarified that I most certainly was NOT pregnant. I was mortified. I mean obviously it wasn't my mistake, but if after 6 weeks of dating, they would assume that I even COULD be pregnant, well, that doesn't really speak well for me in their eyes. Right? The rest of dinner was great. We did end up splitting the dinner 3 ways (covering both Google's and his other neighbor's birthday), so it's a good thing I made the ATM stop on my way! Google, of course, did not want me paying for him. So he kept trying to give me money, which eventually I took some of it, put the rest in his pocket, which he used to pay for the cab ride home. I used what he gave me to pay for lunch today. The rest I will use to buy him some wine for his apartment. I think it's sweet that he didn't want me paying for him, but he could have let me, and I would have been fine with that. Like I've said before, he treats me very well, it's hard to get used to!

I am struggling a bit with how I think Google's neighbors think about me. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me what they think of me. I want them to like me, but if they don't, oh well. They're just his neighbors... and probably his closest friends that live in Philly. He considers them his extended family, and yes, it does matter if they like me. I wish it didn't. But this is new territory for me, because really I've never dated a guy who has ANY friends. I'm glad that he wants to involve me in his life and introduce me to all his friends (tomorrow I get to meet his friend from college and his wife who are visiting from California). He hasn't met any of my friends yet. The annual camping trip is coming up, last year Mr. Perfect came with me to that. That is the first time I EVER brought anyone to the camping trip. It did not go well. Mr. P was anti-social, and very awkward the entire time, even stormed out one time when he was angry with me/a situation and basically made a lot of that weekend very uncomfortable for me. My friend keeps asking if I want to bring Google, and I'm sure he'd fit in much better, but I'm a little gun-shy to bring anyone this soon. If we were going to the Poconos like we usually do, I'd ask him to come up just for a night, like Sat-Sun. But we're going to a different house, and it's like 5 hours away, which is a lot just for a weekend, too much just for a night. I'm going to see how this weekend pans out, and maybe I'll ask him to come.

We spend a lot of time together, and every time (with the exception of the Monday I overstayed my welcome) has been a fantastic time. I have my reservations, as I think is normal in any relationship, but so far so good. I'm definitely thinking long-term with Google, but I don't know if that's how he's thinking yet.

No comments: